The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
Awww....your birds sound positively adorable! ❤ Quail are such a fun species to keep aren't they?! I had a few Bob's over the years that were lap sitters, the first ones to hatch in the incubator and and bonded immediately with me . The male Bobwhite call, especially from the Butler Bobwhite is extraordinary! Their loud screechy call just echoed throughout my valley, just melted my heart to hear them crowing all day. I miss that. :(

Quail are dwindling here in the US from human encroachment, upset predator ratios, climate change, etc... It is TRULY amazing to see them in the wild, I wish you could see them. 💞

Speaking of wild Quail, my Bob's used to draw in the Montezuma Quail, once in a while I'd see these wild birds up near the Aviaries, so cool from an otherwise VERY discreet bird! ❤

That sounds so magical. By the way you're describing it, I can tell you truly lived those birds. Did they sound like this
? How beautiful, nature is.

If I ever were to get quail, American species is what I'm interested in

we need to do better as a whole. So many unique species will be lost if we don't

That sounds so magical. By the way you're describing it, I can tell you truly lived those birds. Did they sound like this
? How beautiful, nature is.

If I ever were to get quail, American species is what I'm interested in

we need to do better as a whole. So many unique species will be lost if we don't
The Northern Bob is a bit more quiet actually than the Butler. I had a few Northerns, mostly Butlers. Very similar call though....

Birds all around the world are rapidly declining and disappearing all together. Very sad. 💔

The Northern Bob is a bit more quiet actually than the Butler. I had a few Northerns, mostly Butlers. Very similar call though....

Birds all around the world are rapidly declining and disappearing all together. Very sad. 💔

What's the difference between the two, other than the decibels they can reach? I'm guessing there are some regional differences as well?

Very, very true, unfortunately

Yes the Butler is larger than the Northern so the decibals are louder, bigger lung capacity.

Can they interbreed? As both populations dwindle, they might start breeding together to maintain their numbers (if they can). An unfortunate end to what would be two very distinctly different species many years (or decades) later

This is late, but...

No comment. 🤭

Ugh, you too?! OK fine, seems like I have to do the work myself
byc snap out of it.gif

Awww....your birds sound positively adorable! ❤ Quail are such a fun species to keep aren't they?! I had a few Bob's over the years that were lap sitters, the first ones to hatch in the incubator and and bonded immediately with me . The male Bobwhite call, especially from the Butler Bobwhite is extraordinary! Their loud screechy call just echoed throughout my valley, just melted my heart to hear them crowing all day. I miss that. :(

Quail are dwindling here in the US from human encroachment, upset predator ratios, climate change, etc... It is TRULY amazing to see them in the wild, I wish you could see them. 💞

Speaking of wild Quail, my Bob's used to draw in the Montezuma Quail, once in a while I'd see these wild birds up near the Aviaries, so cool from an otherwise VERY discreet bird! ❤
That’s really special for you to see them in the wild. How fortunate. 🥰 I wish I saw that around here. I’ve heard that there are some wild populations still in southern Ohio, but Ive never heard of any in the northeast. I have a sort-of wild story… some years back, a female Bobwhite showed up near my Bobwhite building. I got out the recall pen, placed a male into it, and caught her a short while later. Well, I thought that she was an escapee from my own flock, so I counted mine (twice), and they were all there. I kept her. 🥰 To this day, I still don’t know where she came from. But, she lived a lot of safe and pampered years with me… and also provided a lot of fertile eggs.

That’s really special for you to see them in the wild. How fortunate. 🥰 I wish I saw that around here. I’ve heard that there are some wild populations still in southern Ohio, but Ive never heard of any in the northeast. I have a sort-of wild story… some years back, a female Bobwhite showed up near my Bobwhite building. I got out the recall pen, placed a male into it, and caught her a short while later. Well, I thought that she was an escapee from my own flock, so I counted mine (twice), and they were all there. I kept her. 🥰 To this day, I still don’t know where she came from. But, she lived a lot of safe and pampered years with me… and also provided a lot of fertile eggs.

How cute! Sort of the opposite happened to me. Had a very wild hen given to me by an acquaintance for brooding. Long story short, she broke two weeks later, and a week after that escaped my pen and my property

she got effing stolen the very next day, before I could catch her:mad:

How cute! Sort of the opposite happened to me. Had a very wild hen given to me by an acquaintance for brooding. Long story short, she broke two weeks later, and a week after that escaped my pen and my property

she got effing stolen the very next day, before I could catch her:mad:
I’m sorry you didn’t get her back Fluffy. 😞 That must’ve been very difficult to know that someone stole her. I would’ve been heartbroken if that happened to me. This part’s to cheer you up about that… I was telling @Debbie292d about my male turkeys being stolen away. Well, it was a bunch of wild turkey hens doing all of the stealing! I actually had to track them down in the forest and bring them home! 🤣 I had to keep them in a large run after that.

Back
Top Bottom