The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
OK yall, we've entered Day 5 :wee !

Today is a very important day. Today, sex differentiation begins! The organs for each sex begin to form
Excuse me for not following along much, but I hope the chicks grow strong and healthy! Hatching is such a fun adventure, especially when they are from your own chickens-you know their parents and it is funny when you make observations of them that you can relate back to something their parents did or their parents appearance. The eggs I was incubating that came from two of my own hens hatched yesterday and today. There are still some more to go. One of Ruby's chicks already is showing signs of Ruby's calm personality, and it even has the chubby body and round face that Ruby had when she was a chick. So cute to see the similarities! ❤️

Excuse me for not following along much, but I hope the chicks grow strong and healthy! Hatching is such a fun adventure, especially when they are from your own chickens-you know their parents and it is funny when you make observations of them that you can relate back to something their parents did or their parents appearance. The eggs I was incubating that came from two of my own hens hatched yesterday and today. There are still some more to go. One of Ruby's chicks already is showing signs of Ruby's calm personality, and it even has the chubby body and round face that Ruby had when she was a chick. So cute to see the similarities! ❤️

Exactly! Hatching is so cool! Any photos of your babies :pop ?

OK yall, we've entered Day 5 :wee !

Today is a very important day. Today, sex differentiation begins! The organs for each sex begin to form
Day 5.... Big ol 5!

Day 5 GIF by Schoolies

@SwampPrincessChick raised a question (indirectly) that I'd like to answer. Why do you breed chickens? In my case, it comes down to three things that go from most, to least important.

For the love of the breed. I predominantly focus on one breed, and one llandrace. The serama is a breed that I can't say has been on my bucket list for ages, but I fell in love with them very very quickly. Their personalities are amazing, they are gorgeous to look at, they are elegant (some more than others), and so much more. They truly are a perfect little breed. Something else I love about them, is their flight capabilities. In general I think flight is so cool, and I haven't met a bird with better flight skills than a serama.

On the other hand, the Tsouloufates hold a historical significance for me. They are the birds my grandfather, great-grandmother, and grandmother used to have growing up. There have been times where I've shown my birds to older family members and they've said "oh, those look like the birds we had when we were little!". I would very much like to keep this lanrace from disappearing, because it has that connection to our roots, and I think that's really cool. Tsouloufates are also the best choice for free rangers on my property, and climate.

Second reason I hatch, are the eggs. Some people say they haven't noticed a difference in how store bought eggs and their own chicken's eggs taste. I have. I also don't like the way battery hens are treated.

Third and final reason, the meat. While I hate rounding up my cockerels to be sent to an acquaintance who butchers them for me, I prefer them having a good life up to that point, compared to what the supermarket birds had to go through.

So for those reasons, I set eggs in my incubator, and let the broodies hatch as well

@SwampPrincessChick raised a question (indirectly) that I'd like to answer. Why do you breed chickens? In my case, it comes down to three things that go from most, to least important.

For the love of the breed. I predominantly focus on one breed, and one llandrace. The serama is a breed that I can't say has been on my bucket list for ages, but I fell in love with them very very quickly. Their personalities are amazing, they are gorgeous to look at, they are elegant (some more than others), and so much more. They truly are a perfect little breed. Something else I love about them, is their flight capabilities. In general I think flight is so cool, and I haven't met a bird with better flight skills than a serama.

On the other hand, the Tsouloufates hold a historical significance for me. They are the birds my grandfather, great-grandmother, and grandmother used to have growing up. There have been times where I've shown my birds to older family members and they've said "oh, those look like the birds we had when we were little!". I would very much like to keep this lanrace from disappearing, because it has that connection to our roots, and I think that's really cool. Tsouloufates are also the best choice for free rangers on my property, and climate.

Second reason I hatch, are the eggs. Some people say they haven't noticed a difference in how store bought eggs and their own chicken's eggs taste. I have. I also don't like the way battery hens are treated.

Third and final reason, the meat. While I hate rounding up my cockerels to be sent to an acquaintance who butchers them for me, I prefer them having a good life up to that point, compared to what the supermarket birds had to go through.

So for those reasons, I set eggs in my incubator, and let the broodies hatch as well
:goodpost:

Honestly, at first it was to raise my own meat birds. That didn't work out so well, with the fox getting more that me. This year, I'm focusing more on selling the chicks, to help make ends meet.

My focus is going to go in a different direction though, as I switch from BYM to purebreeds.

There is also the joy of seeing those wet little creatures turn into adorable youngsters. It fills me with joy.

Even though a lot of pain can come from hatching as well. A lot of you know what I've gone through both last year and just this past week.

Back
Top Bottom