The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

If the air cells are a bit bigger, you can keep humidity up higher to shrink them up a bit. If the air cells start to get too small, let the humidity drop low so they dry out and get larger. The air cells don't have to be perfect to this diagram, but close as you can so the chick has room to grow but a big enough air cell for internal pipping.

I'd say it's pretty close

Seems like the current strategy is working? We'll see on lockdown and hatch day

That's not a bad name, it's got a story behind it! 🤭 I also think it's kind of cute using the double meaning of chick that way. You should give yourself more credit!

Speaking of names, though, what about Κουλουράκι / Koulouraki? Is that okay as a name? I didn't see any others named too similarly to that, but let me know if I missed one (or if you just don't like that as a name for any reason) :oops:

This ☝️ This is why I focus on what my eggs are telling me instead of what a hygrometer might. Air cell size is pretty forgiving, and it's pretty easy to adjust for as long as you're checking in on them regularly.

If what you're doing now seems to be working, then I'd just keep doing that. It doesn't have to be exactly as the picture shows, close to it is close enough. 🙂

Κουλουράκι, I love it!

It seems very close to the diagram, I'd say. How often exactly are you suggesting to check for air cell size? Does this mean I'll have to do another candling in the middle of the week🤭?

You should have plenty of time to adjust with just the weekly candlings, as long as they're in good shape by lock down day. If I'm making adjustments to humidity, I'll peek after a day or two just to make sure that they're reacting as I'd hoped. As mentioned, there's a lot of wiggle room with air cell size as long as they're not way too small or way too big.

...But it shouldn't hurt to check them more often, either. ;)

OK, given that they look good now, I don't think I need to make any adjustments there (don't fix what's not broken and all...) BUT I will be doing a mini mid-week candling, to make sure the air cell is also growing. If it's still looking good, I'll keep doing what I've done so far. If the air cell hasn't developed at all, I might think about changing things up.

My plan is to candle on day 14, then day 16, and 17, and 18 anyways, to make sure I put them on lockdown at the right time, since I had my first Tsouloufati hatched on day 19, and we know that serama also take less time to hatch

Last edited:
OK, given that they look good now, I don't think I need to make any adjustments there (don't fix what's not broken and all...) BUT I will be doing a mini mid-week candling, to make sure the air cell is also growing. If it's still looking good, I'll keep doing what I've done so far. If the air cell hasn't developed at all, I might think about changing things up.

My plan is to candle on day 14, then day 16, and 17, and 18 anyways, to make sure I put them on lockdown at the right time, since I had my first Tsouloufati hatch on day 19 the first time, and we know that serama also take less time to hatch

Just noticed all they syntax and auto correct mistakes. I should read twice before posting🥴

Nighty Night tiny Freddie, Tsoureki, and all of the Greek Eggies! ❤️ Grow, grow, GROW!

Signing Off Sweet Dreams GIF by Super Simple

Back
Top Bottom