The true cost of backyard eggs!

I agree that the jobs done by undocumented workers are those that most of use would refuse even in the current economy and I think you and I are mostly on the same page in this regard.

As for legality... "they" do things like driving without a licence and because they are unable to get a license when it requires proof of "legal" residency they also drive without insurance). Bottom line is that we should not be putting any one in the situation of having to break the law in order to feed their family. All working poor are eligible for a tax refund If the worked in question has paid taxes shouldn't that boost apply to everyone who is living in poverty despite having one or even two full time jobs?

As for running up bills and not paying them, I work in an emergency room, do you have any ideal how many "legal" (white) Americans use the ER as the primary care doctor? The cost of using common sense and treating a cold or head lice is about $10.00 vs $15.00 to $500.00 ID YOUR tax dollars to use the ER.

In reality "illegal immigration" is no more or less a problem now that it has been in the past 50 years, it's just a BS hat button talking point used by "conservatives" to distract us from real issues.

As for backyard eggs. We have eight hens, the number we need to keep us in eggs during the winter and we have plenty of extra to trade/share in the summer. Factoring in the cost of the coop brooder and equipment the cost is pretty high for the first five or so years. Organic free range eggs are $4.50-$6.00 a dozen at the farmers market so I figure it will be 6 years until we break even after than we are in the black even with replacing the hens as they stop laying.

I can only speak to the farm workers that I personally know. The ones that worked for my Dad had a house on the farm--no need to drive to feed themselves. They had access to a translator on-call. They had access to van service that would drive them anywhere they wanted to go, including shopping or entertainment. Several of these guys felt the need to buy a car, didn't know how to drive it, crashed it through a neighbor's fence or into a field (this happened a few times with different employees), then walked away and abandoned the vehicle.

They also would subscribe to cable, the internet, and get memberships at health clubs. Then they would move on to another job or back home, and the bills would continue to show up after they'd left. These are not things that are necessary for life like health care.

How do you justify the outright fraud over their income taxes? It was routine with these guys to report several children that they did not have (if they have work visas, they do not have to provide proof that the kids exist the way you and I do), and they would file taxes several times each year under several IDs and they would get tax refunds totaling tens of thousands of dollars each year. I know this because I saw the checks, and one of the guys laughingly told me the scam. In fact, tax refund checks would come to the farm under different versions of these guys' names even after they'd moved on. Somehow, I never caught on how, it was tied into the car purchase. I couldn't understand if the car dealership was selling the fake papers or if buying the car gave their IDs legitimacy, somehow. Anyway, they used to take trips in huge carloads to the city and go to the "car dealership," come back with a car, and that would also set them up for tax fraud somehow.

I just want the same rules that apply to you and me to apply to immigrant workers. It's frustrating to see those refund checks coming into the farm mailbox. It's frustrating to see their bills show up after they've gone. It's very frustrating to have to deal with the collections calls coming into the farm phone number (they all had cell phones, but gave the farm number instead). The problem I have is not with the people--goodness knows, most were nice enough guys and we need them in the US to make our economy run--it's with the culture that, at least in our area (multiple large dairy farms with many workers) was all about scamming as much money from the government and as many free services as possible, before they laughingly went home in a few years. I don't know if the more migrant workers do this or not. The jobs in our valley were all permanent jobs, not seasonal.

I know lots of Americans scam the government and that a lot of Americans skip out on their bills. But there are more safeguards against that for those with SSNs. When I declare my dependents, for example, I have to prove they exist with a SSN. When I sign up for cable, they have my SSN and can better track me down. I have no problem with as many immigrants as want to show up coming to work here. I have a problem with a "system" that's so rife with fraud and abuse that it encourages everyone to participate in the fraud, even if they are basically good people. Because, why not? It's not like they'll get caught. They can always take their money and go home.

As far as the backyard eggs, they are far more expensive to produce for us than Eggland's Best or the store brands. Even if you don't do organic, you don't have the economies of scale that make a farm profitable. We don't buy feed by the ton or bedding by the semi-full or chicks by the thousand. We can't broker our manure on the poultry litter exchanges and make some money off it. All of those things save a ton of money, and in a low margin industry like agriculture, those little savings are your profit. We sell eggs for $3.20/dozen wholesale, and make about 35 cents per carton. That's after factoring in housing, etc. We are in the black now, but had to amortize the facilities over five years.

Last edited:
I don't think many of us are doing it for the money. I enjoy the chickens and the smiles on the faces of people that appreciate the fresh eggs when I give them my excess eggs.

All of my friends laugh at me. I went from "I think I'm going to get some chickens" to this crazy chicken lady who can't talk about anything else. what can I say, I found a hobby. And like someone else pointed out, I could be buying a racecar or flying remote control planes. But I do chickens. And they give me eggs. So...true cost of backyard eggs is...priceless!

My eggs cost a bundle, I've no doubt. Coop from scratch-sih (no existing outbuildings on my property, although I am reusing old building materials mostly), feed from chickhood and every day,and the itty bitty size of my eggs = very expensive eggs! However, my chickens are primarily pets, with benefits
yippiechickie.gif

I am sure if I did the math, I probably am not making a whole lot on my eggs because of the price of mash and scratch. However, I don't have to include the cost of my coop and run since the coop itself is over 75 years old and I inherited it from my in-laws. I have 60 hens and when they are not molting they lay pretty good. I have people in town who buy my eggs and who really enjoy them and they keep saying to me - why don't you up the price more, we would pay it. Things are so expensive these days that I am glad to help people out.

All of my friends laugh at me. I went from "I think I'm going to get some chickens" to this crazy chicken lady who can't talk about anything else. what can I say, I found a hobby. And like someone else pointed out, I could be buying a racecar or flying remote control planes. But I do chickens. And they give me eggs. So...true cost of backyard eggs is...priceless!
I'm the same. They became my hobby as well. At first, all my family members made fun of me. Funny..............now they all ask me for eggs.

As far as the backyard eggs, they are far more expensive to produce for us than Eggland's Best or the store brands. Even if you don't do organic, you don't have the economies of scale that make a farm profitable. We don't buy feed by the ton or bedding by the semi-full or chicks by the thousand. We can't broker our manure on the poultry litter exchanges and make some money off it. All of those things save a ton of money, and in a low margin industry like agriculture, those little savings are your profit. We sell eggs for $3.20/dozen wholesale, and make about 35 cents per carton. That's after factoring in housing, etc. We are in the black now, but had to amortize the facilities over five years.
Um...this site is called "back yard chickens" and factory farms make money because of government subsidies. As for the rest of your post you sound like nothing is going to change you opinion so I wouldn't continue to waste my energy.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...chele-bachmann-says-shes-never-received-penn/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/these-republicans-who-voted-to-cut-food-stamps-personally-re

Last edited:
My eggs cost a bundle, I've no doubt. Coop from scratch-sih (no existing outbuildings on my property, although I am reusing old building materials mostly), feed from chickhood and every day,and the itty bitty size of my eggs = very expensive eggs! However, my chickens are primarily pets, with benefits
yippiechickie.gif
Going out into the yard and getting organic eggs is a bonus to all the entertainment we get from "chicken TV"!

Going out into the yard and getting organic eggs is a bonus to all the entertainment we get from "chicken TV"!

I agree with that. The chickens are the only pets that pay you back with entertainment and food. I love to sit and watch them and feed them.

I agree with that. The chickens are the only pets that pay you back with entertainment and food. I love to sit and watch them and feed them.

Me too! Last night DH kept calling me in for supper, but I just couldn't stop watching the babies. We moved them in with the big girls and it was fun to watch them figure things out.

Back
Top Bottom