The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
I feed my ducks food grade diatomaceous earth as a parasite killing suplemint.

I have also fed them:

bananas
apples
cabbage (they didn't like it)
carrots
celery (it's sooooooo funny to watch them devour it!)
lettuce
spinach
oranges
leeks
grapefruit
pears
mealworms

and some other stuff that I can't remember

My ducks LOVE frozen green peas (in warm weather, I leave them froze; in cold weather I warm them up). Are you cooking the vegetables listed above or serving them raw? Mine only seem to eat peas as treats. Of course the worms and other bugs they find in the yard too.

My ducks LOVE frozen green peas (in warm weather, I leave them froze; in cold weather I warm them up). Are you cooking the vegetables listed above or serving them raw? Mine only seem to eat peas as treats. Of course the worms and other bugs they find in the yard too.

I feed all those things to them raw. i have not tried giving them peas, but i will.they also eat minnows and green beans.

Last edited:
Excellent job, Nettie!

Is the spinach thing true in humans too?
Answering this WAAAAY after the fact, but yes, spinach is guilty of this behavior for humans, too. Cooking it is the best way to eat it. Crazy, right? Since we feel so virtuous when we pack spinach in anywhere we can hide it...

If they are younger ducks, I would chop the cabbage up very fine. My adult runners, after about a year old, seem to like cabbage but only if it is a whole head
lol.png
Chopped cabbage, even in water, not much interest. But a cabbage plant? Oh, wow, they nom it down to the stalk.

I have call ducks, so pretty small, and I keep tripping over how small and awkward their beaks look in regards to food! (They're almost 6 weeks.) I have NO idea what those beaks are capable of, so I've been avoiding trying to figure out what treats they'll eat, because it seems like I'd almost have to prep baby food for them or something.

How exactly do ducks eat, and are they way more capable than I'm giving them credit for? Assuming so. :)

My ducklings are 5 days old and I was feeding them scrambled egg with chopped dandelion greens for the last 2 days as a treat. Now I saw that on the list it says scrambled/cooked eggs only for ducklings older than 2 weeks !!! My little ones LOVED the egg/greens, is it ok to give it to them or should I hold off on treats at that age????

One of the big concerns is if they do not have grit, they cannot "chew" food. The eggs may not be as much of a concern as the greens. Littles can get impacted, and that can be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom