The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics

Having just acquired a weekend old duckling, I am so grateful for your post. Thanks a million.

How many did you get & can you post up a photo?

Funny before ducks I would get so frustrated when I found a snail, grub, hornworm or slug eating my pretties. Now, I'm
celebrate.gif
primo duck chow!!!! I noticed Tomato leaves are listed as toxic to ducks.
Recent studies have debunked that. I was very concerned at first because they love eating tomato hornworms. The hornworms are chock full of pulped up tomato leaves.

P.S. I had to post this picture again, just for Miss Lydia.

Last edited:
Funny before ducks I would get so frustrated when I found a snail, grub, hornworm or slug eating my pretties. Now, I'm
celebrate.gif
primo duck chow!!!! I noticed Tomato leaves are listed as toxic to ducks.
Recent studies have debunked that. I was very concerned at first because they love eating tomato hornworms. The hornworms are chock full of pulped up tomato leaves.

P.S. I had to post this picture again, just for Miss Lydia.
My favorite Tomato Horn worms, I have to wear thick gloves just to pick them up and carry to the ducks and chickens. yuck, thanks for thinking about me . lol

We got 7 runners (born on the 4th) and I feel terrible because they're so scared of me ever since we got them home :( I'm trying to move slowly and stay low and not make eye contact, but still they just huddle on the far side of the brooder and pant whenever I'm around

Last edited:
We got 7 runners (born on the 4th) and I feel terrible because they're so scared of me ever since we got them home
sad.png
I'm trying to move slowly and stay low and not make eye contact, but still they just huddle on the far side of the brooder and pant whenever I'm around
Your ducklings are so cute! I know what you mean--it took along time for my khaki's to settle down too. They would pant like that when they got too hot so I moved the lamp up higher and tipped it away to offset the light. Also I put a piece of cardboard in the middle of the brooder so they had shade on one side and they stayed in the shady part most the time and that stopped the panting. :)

My ducks have the usual favorites--peas and lettuce. But they seem to eat just about anything when you toss it in their pool--watermelon, cucumbers, celery, seed pods from grass and leaves off the plum tree so far! :D

I think temperature-wise they're doing okay; when they're not being terrified of me, they don't huddle directly under the light or try to avoid it, and the panting only seems to start up when I'm around. I've been sitting here talking to them for an hour or so now and some of them have stopped panting entirely (the black two seem to have the hardest time calming down!)

Question? What kind of plants can ducks eat? My kids started giving them rose petals and they love it but I'm afraid of giving them anything without knowing what is safe! Are blueberries or blackberries ok?
We've been feeding our ducks rose petals too with no ill effects. The roses are organic however with no sprays of any kind. Our whole yard is organic for that matter so we don't have to worry about poisoning the duckies or ourselves. :)

Back
Top Bottom