The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
Happy I found this thread.  I've been looking for information on Black Australian Swans.  I have a pair 1 year old that are backyard pets.  Would think what applies to ducks may apply to swans since they are both waterfowl.  Regarding tomato plants...my peafowl eat the leaves all the time as well as the tomato and hasn't hurt them.  If you waterfowl folks can give me some tips on my swans I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Yeah they can pretty much eat the same things, I've never had swans but I've had ornamental fowl, another great treat is catfish food, they love it (you know the kind that floats) :) also you can never go wrong with meal worms

Can i give them boiled rice with boiled vegetables daily as a meal? And my baby duck is very weak, what should I do?

Can i give them boiled rice with boiled vegetables daily as a meal? And my baby duck is very weak, what should I do?

not enough nutrients in that.

A boiled egg, crushed up fine would help. Add a little tiny bit of water to make it soft and easy to swallow.

@99mano

Last edited:
I'm I do t know about rice, I know that rice when not cooked can make them bloat, I'm not sure with boiled rice somebody else needs to answer,

I'm nowhere near an expert on domestic duck nutrition, but as a wildlife biologist and avid duck hunter, I can definitely tell you that is false. Leftover rice in rice fields is a major food source for millions of wild ducks, and I have spent alot of effort convincing farmers to reflood their fields to provide this needed habitat.

The urban legend you're referring to has to do somewhat with raw, instant rice, but even then, it probably won't hurt them.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp

Last edited:
Great post...thank you so much...very helpful list
yippiechickie.gif

Can people note them if giving ducks spaghetti, read the ingredients label, most spaghetti has added sugar which is NOT good for ducks. Use organic 100% spelt spaghetti as this is an ancient grain with no additives.

Im a new duck mom. We live in the dessert and have no foliage for the ducks. Lookibg for ideas or subsitutions to keep happy healthy ducks

Back
Top Bottom