The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
I've been using this guide since I first started raising ducks. It has been very helpful. great work!

My ducks' favorite treats by far is boiled corn followed by turnip greens.

I would very much like to see a list of common lawn weeds and plants that are also safe for ducks to eat.

I have found my female mallard likes to eat the crumbs out of the dog food bowl, loves collard greens, kale, turnip greens, live super worms, live meal worms, & live crickets. She also, tends to pick up small snails/slugs & eats those when she's outside. Fortunately there's no pesticides in my front yard where she gets snails & slugs from. And she wants to taste anything I may be eating. LOL.

Can I over feed my ducks? Not snacks, but their actual food. I do fermented feed and they certainly gobble it up! I can't imagine how much I would have to put out for them to eat for 15 minutes! Basically I have 6 ducks and they get more than a 24oz folders coffee can worth of fermented feed a day. I say more than because I feed 1/2 in the morning, add a scoop (maybe another 6-8oz?) and mix that in, then they get that at night. They also have a pretty large fenced area they semi-free range, and get at least one kind of snack out of me a day. It seems like it's more than the .4lbs I've read that they need, but I notice if I feed them a lot extra that they are quieter in the morning (yay!) I don't want to over feed just so I can sleep in though. I'm I under feeding, or are my girls just greedy?

Can I over feed my ducks? Not snacks, but their actual food. I do fermented feed and they certainly gobble it up! I can't imagine how much I would have to put out for them to eat for 15 minutes! Basically I have 6 ducks and they get more than a 24oz folders coffee can worth of fermented feed a day. I say more than because I feed 1/2 in the morning, add a scoop (maybe another 6-8oz?) and mix that in, then they get that at night. They also have a pretty large fenced area they semi-free range, and get at least one kind of snack out of me a day. It seems like it's more than the .4lbs I've read that they need, but I notice if I feed them a lot extra that they are quieter in the morning (yay!) I don't want to over feed just so I can sleep in though. I'm I under feeding, or are my girls just greedy?

Can you get ahold of a baby/pet scale? Then you could weigh them and see if they are a healthy weight.

Can you feed Muscovy ducklings grass clippings from your yard?

Yes...if the grass is not sprayed or something. For ducklings, they have to be chopped up very small.

Edit: It does not take the place of their normal diet, however, it's just for a treat/supplement.

Last edited:
CAn ducks eat dates?? I'd like to share some with my muscovies but I'm not sure if it will be good for them

Thank you so much for this post! It is incredibly useful.

My cat eats Taste of the Wild Canyon River dry food. It has 32% protein and 16% fat. Would this be ok for my ducks? Is there anything in pet food that should be avoided?

Back
Top Bottom