The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
Thanks.Good information on the fish. I'd like to give them to my ducks and geese actually. We have 6 Welch Harlequins and 3 geese-a mean Toulouse gander and 2 hens that are African and Toulouse mixes that were given to us. The girls are good, but we just aren't sure we are going to be able to keep the gander. It takes both of us to go into the pen just to gather eggs. We've tried alot of behavior modification. It works for about 5 seconds at a time, but we dare not turn our backs on him. He was so sweet and gentle when we rescued him. We can't figure out what has made him so mean. We give him lots of room, although we can't allow the geese to free range yet as we aren't set up for that. Once we get things changed around, I'm afraid still to let him out, not just bc of my own fear of getting bitten and flogged again, but fear he might attack the ducks, who do free range separately even now. I hate the thought of processing him, but it's looking more and more that will be his fate.I can't live with an aggressive animal on the property.Plus I'm losing eggs from my girls bc Michael is working away 5 days a week, so I can't get in there to retrieve the daily eggs. Grrr Boy oh boy, if anyone has any suggestions on taming a gander, I'm all ears.And sorry I veered off the subject here.

I've been told and read that my swans are going to be the same way when they start breeding and eggs/cygnets are involved.  Have no idea how I'll deal with it.  Gracie and Gunther have a large safe house/run where they stay nights.  Door opens into their yard with pool for day use.  How will I walk them in before dark with them trying to kill me?  How will I clean and maintain their habitat?  I was attacked last year by a 5 year old Emerald Spalding (Green Species) peacock I raised from a chick.  I was entering the pen with a garbage can lid during breeding season to protect myself.  He'd calmed down some when mating ceased so was off guard when he left a high roost and got me in the head.  Husband rushed me to the doctor with blood running down my face.  It was a horrible experience.  Maybe the imprint of him on me had something to do with it.  He now lives on a 100 acre ranch in Goliad, TX and I didn't shed a tear when he left, LOL!!!  I don't think that kind of temperament in an animal can be changed. 
First, my apologies for just now answering your post to me. I'm so behind on my gazillion emails it'd crazy. I hope you found a way to solve your problems with the aggressive birds. I solved ours with the geese. I did all 3 of them tho a couple of older men who have 56 animals out of a farm and they said they have other geese like them, and know the ganders can be aggressive. I don't miss the noisy things at all. I now have 7 new wonderful, gentle chickens occupying that pen :)

First, my apologies for just now answering your post to me. I'm so behind on my gazillion emails it'd crazy. I hope you found a way to solve your problems with the aggressive birds. I solved ours with the geese. I did all 3 of them tho a couple of older men who have 56 animals out of a farm and they said they have other geese like them, and know the ganders can be aggressive. I don't miss the noisy things at all. I now have 7 new wonderful, gentle chickens occupying that pen :)

Congratulations on the gentle chickens. That's the way to go. I don't have any aggressive birds presently. Regarding geese. A friend has offered me a couple of this next years hatch of Curley Buff Sebastopol's. I was in awe when I first saw her grown ones . They are beyond gorgeous. Problem is they will have to live with the swans and not sure how that will work, LOL!!!

Congratulations on the gentle chickens.  That's the way to go.  I don't have any aggressive birds presently.  Regarding geese.  A friend has offered me a couple of this next years hatch of Curley Buff Sebastopol's.  I was in awe when I first saw her grown ones .  They are beyond gorgeous.  Problem is they will have to live with the swans and not sure how that will work, LOL!!!
Those geese are beautiful, but that experience with geese I had was my one and only,so I would be of no help about mixing geese and swans.
We lost our matriarch WH duck hen 2 weeks ago. I went out after dark around 7:30 pm to put up the chickens and ducks for the night. I had been away since mid afternoon, but had been outside with all the animals until 1pm that day. When I got home, my matriarch duck, Neurotica, was no where to be found. There were no sign of predators, and I am convinced she did not have enough room to take flight.besides she's lived here happily now for 3 years.I do believe if she had left on her own,the rest of her duck family would have followed her lead,as my other 5 are all family and were very close. I could see the puzzled reactions about her not being there with them that night and the next few days, and my main drake was beside himself. My only conclusion is that someone came into my yard and took her. It just hurts my heart that she is gone. The other ducks have come to accept she's not here now.We are getting ready to install video cameras on the property. I'm suspecting who I think might have had the gall to do this. No neighbors, but my next door neighbor and friend passed away a few months ago. Her son owns her house and has a landscaping company. He has his workers park the work equipment next door. I know these workers have stolen from me in the past, but without proof, there's nothing I can do about it.I really miss her silly antics,too:(

Lynn Manes, how awful if they took your duck. I'm very upset just reading about it. Some people do it, just because they can .
somad.gif
rant.gif

I am so sorry about your duck. I know that empty feeling that looms when one of our birds goes missing. The flock knows and I believe some of them mourn. Don't laugh. I spend a lot of time with my birds and see how devoted and close they can be. I know it's hard on me. Never escape a loss without crying my eyes out and praying they've gone to a bird paradise. Cameras are a good idea. Hope you catch the culprits.

Oh thank you so much this is awesome yesterday my duck was injured and my 2 year old son was eating popcorn the duck got a hold of some she spat out most of the pieces but she's inside the house again with a stiff hanging neck and she keeps sticking her toung out i don't know whats going on could it be from the popcorn?

Can you get her to a vet?

She may be choking, or something may have injured her neck.

Can you upload a brief video?

If she is choking, Storey's Guide says to gently straighten the neck, and see if she can dislodge what is in there. But if it is a neck injury that may not be the right thing to do.

Do you see any lumps on the neck?

WOW!!! I cannot believe how detailed, informative and comprehensive this list is! THANK YOU! I am trying to absorb as much info as I can b4 my ducklings arrive in another month. This is sooo helpful!

I have put juiced lemon halves in the compost pile before and my ducks surprisingly got up in there and ate them down to the skin. Do they taste sour? I don't think so judging by how they ate the lemons, maybe they do taste sweet? We may never know

Back
Top Bottom