The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

We will have below freezing temps again next week. Should I put syrup out anyway? The farthest out forecast says 30-33 overnight lows a week out.
Definitely put 1:1 sugar syrup on. They just wont go up into the feeder when it gets cold. As soon as it warms up during the day bees will go up and feed. 1:1 sugar syrup has a low freezing temperature and 2:1 even lower. I think you're using a hive top feeder so add 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar per gallon of sugar syrup if you want to keep the syrup from getting moldy and fuzzy(even though it doesnt harm the bees).

I got a random phone call this afternoon from my very good bee friend. ā€œIā€™m going to the bee yard, wanna ride?ā€ Of course, I said yes. Iā€™m now the proud owner of a very heavy swarm trap. He doesnā€™t know how long they have been in there. Probably gonna be some cutting involved. Who cares? More bees!

IMG_3867.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3871.jpeg
    IMG_3871.jpeg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
So, today I HAD to deal with the swarm trap. The bearding and ball of bees on the bottom spoke to me. The red deep box, I built it too tight and could only fit 9 frames. The 10th wouldnā€™t quite squeeze in. Lots of brood, pollen and nectar with some capped honey along the top of the frames. I had to cut huge pieces of comb off the bottom of the frames. I reframed that to finish the 9 frames. I had some leftover that was unusable that I will melt down. I found the queen and caged her while we sorted through everything. My buddy showed up to cheer me on and get a little video. Iā€™ll get my daughter to help me get that on YT. Itā€™s just me releasing the queen. Thereā€™s a little entertainment value in there. There was a massive amount of bees in that box so we added an excluder and super.

What does this mean?
Most of the brood usually is centered with the cluster keeping it warm. I take a frame of foundation from the outside and place it left and right of the center most of the cluster. They will not leave brood and start to draw out comb quickly for centered laying space for the queen keeping the brood centered and easier to tend and keep warm. Not a good practice if night temps drop. I like a consistent 50 Degrees and above for this. It has also worked for me during derth with syrup feeding but not as fast. The Queen maybe the Queen but comb is KING!! :old

Back
Top Bottom