The waste! Oh the wasted feed...

Your welcome i have been pushing this feeder ever since i made it it works so well and so simple to make

I made this one as well. AMAZING!! No waste even with crumble! I made mine with a 3 gal bucket from the local bakery (free!) and have five 18 week gals using it in the coop. Took all of 10 min to make too :) only needs to be filled every 1-2 weeks. Any "dust" left in the bottom I mix with some yogurt and its a super treat for the girls! I highly recommend it!

This is the feeder I'm using for three 12 week old chickens, hanging at their chest height, with crumble: And dang if they don't knock it around, send it swinging, eat like animals (oh, wait...) and knock at least a third if not more of the feed all over the bottom of the coop. I tried fermenting feed for a while, but it's too much daily work, and it kept molding. I've got 50 lbs of crumble to go through before I can switch to pellets I suppose, but I don't like the idea of pellets, it just seems so...boring and rabbit foodish. And will they work with this feeder? Will they still be knocked around? And why don't they eat that dang crumble off the floor before heading back to the feeder? (Because they aren't intelligent humans, I know, it was rhetorical, lol.) I hate all this waste! Any suggestions?
I have this same feeder for my quails and I don't like them. Yesterday I picked one of them up that was pretty full of feed and the top separated from the bottom leaving a mound of feed on the pen floor. Grrr. I just scraped up as much as possible and put it back in the bottom which was way overfilled, plopped the top back on but not securely only bc I didn't want them walking and pooping in it and walked away growling as it was 104°out and I was just too hot by then to bother. So today I'll get out there and change it out for one of those long ones with the feeder holes in it and where the top is attached & simply snaps together on one side. Hope this will work out better. There are no screws on mine that is like yours btw. The bottom just twists on to the top. For the quail we don't hang them either. Good luck with your feeders & I hope you can find a better solution. You might try the ones like I'm going to use instead since your chicks are still so young and small.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom