The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Welsummer chicks from this year are maturing nicely. I ended up with one cockerel and one hen. Lost that one chick to aerial predator under the care of a broody silkie. Probably lucky I didn't lose both to be honest. Made sure that I brooded the other Welsummer pullet to a better size. Anyways here we are: October already. Eggs any time! Can hardly wait. Funny how they know they are bird of a feather. They do like flocking these two...
Wow, they look great, and that rooster is :eek:

My Paulie sure is proud Today!

Got this lovely lady a couple months ago as a 16-week pullet. She's been laying for a few weeks, and was the first to lay out of my 3. She lays 6 eggs a week. Her eggs aren't really dark brown, but are darker than average brown eggs for sure and more reddish. She's curious, friendly, docile, and the top hen in my mixed flock. She's clearly a cross-breed -- any ideas what she's mixed with? The farm I got her from had the following breeds: Welsummer, RIR, RIW, BR, Colombian Rock, Wyandotte, Leghorn, EE and Buff Orp. I'm guessing Welsummer x RIR, but... ?

I'd say she isn't Buff O cross. My Welsummer Buff O cross girls are all the same, buff gold feathers with a black tail. Some faint lacing on the back feathers and darker flight feathers on their wings. They are very friendly and pretty girls though and the one that is laying (the other two are just 4 months old) lays large solid medium brown eggs without the hallmark speckles that you see on the pure Welly eggs.

I think you are right with your guess. Either way she is a pretty hen.

Got this lovely lady a couple months ago as a 16-week pullet. She's been laying for a few weeks, and was the first to lay out of my 3. She lays 6 eggs a week. Her eggs aren't really dark brown, but are darker than average brown eggs for sure and more reddish. She's curious, friendly, docile, and the top hen in my mixed flock. She's clearly a cross-breed -- any ideas what she's mixed with? The farm I got her from had the following breeds: Welsummer, RIR, RIW, BR, Colombian Rock, Wyandotte, Leghorn, EE and Buff Orp. I'm guessing Welsummer x RIR, but... ?

Post a photo of one of her eggs next to a RIR, BO, BR, or whatever you have. I'd like to see if a crossbred Wellie would have eggs that much lighter?

Post a photo of one of her eggs next to a RIR, BO, BR, or whatever you have. I'd like to see if a crossbred Wellie would have eggs that much lighter?

Hahaha! Easier said than done. Mine are all cross breeds. ;) But here is a side-by side of the Wellie cross egg (right) and an egg from a hen I think is a RIR x RIW mix, which just an average brown egg.

Her eggs are pretty dark, but I've seen photos of Welsummer eggs that look way darker. And no speckles.

Hahaha! Easier said than done. Mine are all cross breeds. ;) But here is a side-by side of the Wellie cross egg (right) and an egg from a hen I think is a RIR x RIW mix, which just an average brown egg.

Her eggs are pretty dark, but I've seen photos of Welsummer eggs that look way darker. And no speckles.

Her eggs ARE dark! Wellies can lay from a lighter brown, to light brown with dark splotches or dark speckles, or half brown/half light brown -- all depending on the brown pigmentation that occurs prior to the hen laying her egg. Our Marans would lay a different pattern of speckles or solid eggs depending on how the egg traveled the oviduct and got pigmented. Very pretty eggs -- both of them!

Back
Top Bottom