There are five patterns .... OK ... but they have different importances!

Dany12

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Hungary
The most important are .... Barred wings and Blackshoulder .

Is it possible IB ( color ) with 2 patterns .... Barred wings and Blackshoulder ?
Not for me .... or Barred wings or Blackshoulder .... Never both together !

Pattern Siverpied is created from a mix of White, Pied and White eyes .... in fact Pied and White eyes.

So, is it possible IB ( color ) with 2 patterns Silverpied and Pied or IB ( color ) with 3 patterns Silverpied, Pied and White eyes ?
In Theory ... yes , but in practice ?

Is it possible IB ( color ) with 2 patterns .... Barred wings and Blackshoulder ?
You cannot have an IB bird that phenotypically shows both patterns but genotypically the bird can "look" barred or blackshoulder and have the other pattern within it's genetics to produce the other pattern.This is where the "split to" wording comes into place.The bird has the necessary genes when bred to a hen that also has the genotype or phenotype and you will get offspring of the diffrent pattern even tho both parents do not show that pattern.

My Black Shoulder Silver Pied male is actually an India Blue Black Shoulder Silver Pied,,he has blue feathers down the front of his neck with the silver feathers on his back.This male is what your asking about? Yes in Theory and Yes to In Practice,,this type of bird has the genetics to put about anything into another single color if bred to that single color-pattern bird.

I also have a Purple Black Shoulder Silver Pied male that will be 3 years old this coming spring.You can get any color bird that can in fact be carrying all 5 patterns in it's genetics.I'm wanting to breed this into my Opals and Bronze colors this spring and possibly Midnights.My Charcoal male also has pied and w/e in him that "shows" phenotypically.But he is barred wing.

Last edited:
The most important are .... Barred wings and Blackshoulder .

No, one or the other, though it could be Barred winged carrying the gene for blackshoulder, barred winged is dominant

Pattern Siverpied is created from a mix of White, Pied and White eyes .... in fact Pied and White eyes.

So, is it possible IB ( color ) with 2 patterns Silverpied and Pied or IB ( color ) with 3 patterns Silverpied, Pied and White eyes ?

Multiple patterns are possible. However, Silver pied and pied cannot be shown on the same bird, as Silver pied is a pied bird with two copies white eyed gene. Pied white eyed is a pied bird carrying a single copy white eyed gene. To any of these you could also have blackshoulder or barred wings.

In Theory ... yes , but in practice ?

Thanks for the answer ....
But in reality is there a big difference between those 2 varieties from the UPA list ?

12 - Black Shoulder Pied White-Eyed
13 - Black Shoulder Silver Pied

or
23 - Cameo Black Shoulder Pied White-Eyed

24 - Cameo Black Shoulder Silver Pied

There can be a big difference in the two. The pied bird may only express a small amount if white in its pattern and generally does not carry the silver feathering on its back. A SP bird would have significant amount of white in its pattern and this silver feathering.

There will or can be a lot of difference in their phenotype, I think in the silver pieds all of the train will be either white or white eye and in the white eye there are many different looks and not all of the feathers have white eyes but still have the gene for it.. george

Yes , Silverpied is multi... form !

.... when Wiki is wrong ! ...... peahen
lau.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mayuuraa-peahen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom