Thermometer probe location question, input appreciated

LottieLou

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2013
We set 28 eggs in a Little Giant Styrofoam still air incubator. We are using three thermometers, one mercury old fashioned, two battery operated digital models both with a hygrometer. The temps are all close, the hygrometers can really vary, 9-16%. The thermometer I'm recording and depending on reads the temp to .1 of a degree. It is a radio shack model that cost 20$ with a probe to read outside temp. The questions is, er hope this makes sense. The digital thermometer/hygrometer with the probe wire wound around meter is laying down on the wire floor of the incubator so numbers easily visible. The indoor/outdoor temp on the same meter consistently read about 5 degrees difference. The incubator has been running since Saturday with the eggs set on Sunday night. I am following the outdoor reading on the meter since it matches the other two thermometers. The probe resting on the meter is about midpoint egg height. Do I adjust the temp 102 degrees as directed for still air incubators with the probe not resting on top of egg? I have been planning to try for 101 degrees. I hear that the eggs bake at 103 and 102 makes me nervous with the probe not being completely as high as the eggs themselves. The second digital meter is as tall as the eggs and the temp reads close to the radio shack one with the probe but only reads to the degree not 0.1 to the degree.

NEVER MIND, FIGURED IT OUT

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom