They boys are crowing šŸ˜¬

Skankiewicz

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
I recently got a batch of 8 quail babies, and now it looks like I have 3-4 boys who have all started crowing. We have an HOA so quail us the only way I get backyard birds. Anyway my question: if I move these dudes to their own kennel and cover them at night, will that give me a few more hours if sleep before I get up and put them back with the ladies? (Currently writing this at 4:45 am and I get up at 7-8). I think that would make the neighbors and more importantly me happier with them. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. I really don't want to have to kill the boys.

It might. Make sure they can't see or hear the girls. They may still get violent with each other, though. A bachelor pad might work. You may still need to either rehome or cull the extra boys.
I'm in AZ so our nights are pretty warm, currently low of 75. If I cover with a towel doni have to worry about airflow at all? I have a box fan or could put the ice bath dish in there. šŸ¤·

I'm in AZ so our nights are pretty warm, currently low of 75. If I cover with a towel doni have to worry about airflow at all? I have a box fan or could put the ice bath dish in there. šŸ¤·
That's a tough one. You could put ice bottles in there, but in your case covering may not be your best option. I would recommend rehoming or eating your extra boys, especially if they're making enough noise to possibly annoy your neighbours.

You may have a hard time rehoming them...

Well, I tried it and it didn't help. I think all the other wild outside birds get them going. They settle down by 6 am so I guess that's good.

I also found out of 8 only 2 are female šŸ˜¬. Hopefully the farm has some ladies to add to my flock, next hatch is any day now.

Also, do boys mount each other?

Well, I tried it and it didn't help. I think all the other wild outside birds get them going. They settle down by 6 am so I guess that's good.

I also found out of 8 only 2 are female šŸ˜¬. Hopefully the farm has some ladies to add to my flock, next hatch is any day now.

Also, do boys mount each other?
Yes boys will try to mount each other.

Back
Top Bottom