Things you wish you could say

My mom remembers in the 50's they used to do Duck and Cover here in Winnipeg. It was a real fear because we're a central transport hub in North America and the soviets could have just flown over the north pole to bomb us. Kill us and stop the flow of supplies. I don't know if it's still as valid today as it was back then, but it is a sobering thought.
We're at the southern end of that chain. We did it at school in the early '60s.
It's been ridiculed a lot lately but we were concerned with atomic bombs, not thermal nuclear. If those hit 10-20 miles away you had a chance.

The bigger problem is, ok, they have drills, many of them are 'graded' at / on some level. Principals, as you said, tell the kids, faculty, ok we are having a drill within the next month, be aware. God forbid a real thing happens, someone pulls the alarm, and everyone thinks, oh this is the drill, and there is no real urgency to go to safety because it really is not a drill.

We used to do the same thing in school, back in the 70's duck under your desks, or line up in the halls along the lockers with your hands over your heads. They would call them 'disaster drills', and claim it was for Tornado's and the likes.

@ conure, yah, they used to say the same thing to us too, the Russians will bomb you, so you need to protect yourselves !! Like that would really protect you.

Id like to believe that the US, The Russians, and now, the rest of the nuclear nations firmly understand that with a nuke there are no winners EVERYONE LOSES ! and that was more saber rattling than anything else, because you nuke us, we WILL nuke you back, so who wins? With the crazies running the world today, I may need to rethink that logic :(

Aaron

For the public schools I have any experience with, the students are NOT told in advance that a fire drill will happen. I think the teachers are told, but it is meant to be a surprise for the students. So an unexpected fire drill should see the students reacting as normal (and hopefully the teachers would be experienced enough to do the right things too.)
I wish our school would not warn anyone. But they do. They even announce it on the PA system in the morning, when the fire drill will be, letting all the students and staff know. To the exact minute
OK, the schools I know do give THAT amount of warning to students.
I know a high schooler told me there would be a fire drill "in the first week."

I thought people were talking about "It will be Monday morning" level of detail, which I have not heard of.
See my above post
We use the ALICE drill for active shooters in my district. It's a shame we have to worry about this stuff, but the program is good. Rather than a strict plan, it emphasizes communication and making the most appropriate decision on the fly. Teachers and students are trained to to appropriately barricade their class rooms, when/how to evacuate, pass information, and we even have topographical maps of the area with designated relay points. We've also greatly improved threat assessment to identify potential threats beforehand.

After Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Florida public schools aren't messing around.
We do ALICE drills too. My son is in 5th grade and he said the teachers have told them the students can use anything they want as a weapon against the shooter

The last school I worked at had 900 students. First fire or lock down drill was told ahead of time to staff. After that we were not warned so each was taken seriously. Several lock downs were the result of a bank robbery across the street. We even had to teach the children not to respond to someone knocking at classroom door claiming to be the principal.
Always amazes me to hear a fire alarm going off in a mall and everyone just keeps shopping.

The last school I worked at had 900 students. First fire or lock down drill was told ahead of time to staff. After that we were not warned so each was taken seriously. Several lock downs were the result of a bank robbery across the street. We even had to teach the children not to respond to someone knocking at classroom door claiming to be the principal.
Always amazes me to hear a fire alarm going off in a mall and everyone just keeps shopping.
Guess I'm thankful the worse emergency that happened in my school was the earthquake. Dont think we ever had a lock down or had a student bring a weapon. Seems like the generation after me went nuts.

Back
Top Bottom