Thinking about getting PDZ but have questions

Thanks for painting a picture for me:D that's about what size my board is too. Are you also using granules?
Yes, the powder is too fine and could cause serious respiratory issues for flock and keeper. The granuales are like medium sized sand particles. I use a kitty litter scoop to clean now, my last coop I had a little over twice the area to clean and I used a dust pan and kitchen strainer to sift clean

I am of the opinion that Pdz is the best thing since sliced bread!!! It keeps the coop so much cleaner, makes chicken keeping much easier, helps a lot with the smell. I sprinkle some throughout the coop and run ( we have sand in the run). I love the stuff. Agree, get granular type. I get ours in the horse aisle at TSC.

I make it about 1 inch thick. Get the granules not the powder. And yes I put it in the compost.
X3!
It's still pretty dusty when sifting if care is not taken.

I have 3 poop boards.
A 2x7, a 2x4, and a 1x6(doesn't get used/cleaned much except for chick season). Keep the PDZ less than a 1/2" and went thru about three 40# bags last year.
Have tried several different scoops and far prefer a mesh organizer basket.
I sift all the pdz in 2 of the boards every day or 2.
Here's my set up and tools:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

X3!
It's still pretty dusty when sifting if care is not taken.

I have 3 poop boards.
A 2x7, a 2x4, and a 1x6(doesn't get used/cleaned much except for chick season). Keep the PDZ less than a 1/2" and went thru about three 40# bags last year.
Have tried several different scoops and far prefer a mesh organizer basket.
I sift all the pdz in 2 of the boards every day or 2.
Here's my set up and tools:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048
I love your set up! Do you recommend having ramps up to the roosts or just personal preference? I don't have any but lately have been thinking I want one. They don't have any issues jumping up to the tray, then the roosting branch but..it just seems easier for them to have a ramp.
What wood / thickness are your ramps?

I love your set up! Do you recommend having ramps up to the roosts or just personal preference? I don't have any but lately have been thinking I want one. They don't have any issues jumping up to the tray, then the roosting branch but..it just seems easier for them to have a ramp.
What wood / thickness are your ramps?
I put ramps in because of limited landing area when they jump/fly off roost/board,
and had big ole bumbling Brahma birds who much preferred the ramps to descend.
The longer ramp in coop is 3/8" plywood with a 1x3 underneath to stiffen it, the shorter one might be 1/4" or 3/16" with no stiffener.

Back
Top Bottom