Thinking about raising bobwhite quail.

coreyquail

Hatching
Mar 12, 2017
I have been thinking about ordering 100-150 Bobwhites if I order that much I can get them for .65 cents a chick. I want a good bird to work with my hunting dog. Now I herd quail are easy to raise I would raise them on wire. Do all quail "call back" after being flushed a few times? How big of a cage would I need? The problem I have is where I want to raise them I have no electricity. Yes for the first few weeks I would raise them in my shop under a heat lamp. How old would they have to be to go outside with no heat lamp. I live in North Dakota so our nights get a little chilly. I would have a nice very well insulated shelter for them to huddle in. Any information on raising them would be very appreciated. Also any pictures of quail cages would be very nice.

I have been thinking about ordering 100-150 Bobwhites if I order that much I can get them for .65 cents a chick. I want a good bird to work with my hunting dog. Now I herd quail are easy to raise I would raise them on wire. Do all quail "call back" after being flushed a few times? How big of a cage would I need? The problem I have is where I want to raise them I have no electricity. Yes for the first few weeks I would raise them in my shop under a heat lamp. How old would they have to be to go outside with no heat lamp. I live in North Dakota so our nights get a little chilly. I would have a nice very well insulated shelter for them to huddle in. Any information on raising them would be very appreciated. Also any pictures of quail cages would be very nice.

I got friends that raise them---I do not know all the details, but I know they all build flight pens so the birds can fly around. Got a friend just starting out this week that is building two flight pens.

Most states bobs are special permit birds so be sure to check with your state wildlife code.

I put mine out at 6 weeks old. But with the wierd weather were having from 80s one week to 20 the next. I figured I'd lose some but so far all are doing good.

Just make sure that they have plenty of space. If they get crowded the start pecking and turn canabilistic quick.

I have never released them but I know a few farmers that have release field for hunting and trial. Call pens were required. Most birds came back to the call pens that were not shot or found. So most should come back after a flush.

I not sure you could get a flight conditioned bird on wire.

I picked up some nice big fat adults that were raised on wire and turned them loose in my ground pen (separated). To no avail they are seemed to weaken and die for no other reason than dirt.They all continued to loose weight no matter how much I forted their health. Meds, daily inspections, high protein feeds, greens, parasite treatments, etc....

So, my though it simple, the birds were never allowed to build up natural immunity's as they were kept on the wire and when introduced to the ground element, starting behaving sickly as they had no immunity's to such elements. I am glad they are gone now as I cant imagine raising any bird that will not or cannot adapt and survive.

I know what I am doing, but these birds just seemed to be doomed from the inception..

Back
Top Bottom