"Thinking Egg, Thinking Egg" is the Mantra

powellchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
BC Canada
We are so anxious for the first egg to come that we have decided to help the ladies out and show them how it is done. About a month ago, we closed off the nesting boxes because some of them got in the habit of sleeping and pooping in the nesting boxes instead of sleeping on the roost. As it is getting closer to the time that the older ones should start laying we decided tonight to open them up again and show them what's suppose to go in there. Golf Balls!!! Well at least they won't go bad and they will have an idea about what's going to be popping out soon enough. What comes to mind is the mantra, "Thinking Bee! Thinking Bee!" from the "B Movie" when the bees had to remember to pollinate the flowers and act like a bees again after winning their lawsuit against the humans for the rights to their honey. So in this case, we are getting the hens to be "Thinking Egg! Thinking Egg!!!" It will be an exciting day when the first egg appears, that's for sure.

I did the same as you......my gals should be laying in the next few weeks, (or days, I hope!).....! Our coop is very similiar to yours and our gals also liked to sleep in the nest boxes. I had blocked off the boxes for a month, but decided now that the chicks are 18 weeks old, I'd better help them plan ahead!! LOL! Good luck! ~Beulah

Hi Beulah,
We did discuss the pooping in the nest boxes on another thread. Is this your first time owning chickens? I am so excited!!!No eggs this morning and also no poop. Guess they finally learned to stay on the roosting bars. I keep going back to the calendar to count the weeks. I think four of mine are 17 weeks. The other two are younger by at least a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom