This is the week! My chicks will go outside!

At 7 weeks there should be no need to bring them back in. I would start them in strictly the coop for the first few days to about a week, to help home them to the coop. That'll help finish acclimating them to outside temps too. After that you can simply open the pop door and let them decide when they want to come out.

There's no need to herd them back into the coop if you're away from the house, except in cases of extreme emergency. If the run is predator proof you technically don't even need to coop them up at night, though I'd feel safer having them locked up even if the run is secure.

At 7 weeks there should be no need to bring them back in. I would start them in strictly the coop for the first few days to about a week, to help home them to the coop. That'll help finish acclimating them to outside temps too. After that you can simply open the pop door and let them decide when they want to come out.

There's no need to herd them back into the coop if you're away from the house, except in cases of extreme emergency. If the run is predator proof you technically don't even need to coop them up at night, though I'd feel safer having them locked up even if the run is secure.
This is helpful! Thank you

I brooded my 4 chicks in a small pup tent inside the house. We had outside day trips starting at about 4 weeks, of differing lengths based on weather and my free time. At 7 weeks, I had a secure 10x13 fence with just the box of a prefab coop inside it. They spent all day Saturday in the fence, with the box open to explore, but I caved and brought them back in the house brooder tent that night.
Sunday morning, I opened the tent and door to outside, and they wandered out to their playpen circle first, where they had spent their day trips, then I herded them easily to the fenced run. The temps were 70 that day, but 45 at night, so I put their brooder plate in the nest section. I had bedding and water only, no food. I had to physically put 3 of the four into the coop at dusk. I didn't think of light til I realized they were scared. (I had always kept a dim light in the room of their tent, they would cry if I tried to turn it off.) So I thought of a motion-sensor light, one I had in the hallway. It made a big difference! You know, the ones that go out after 10-15 seconds of no activity.
I locked them in the coop, telling them "good girls, nigh-night, go to bed". And watched for the light in the window all night. I knew they were restless if the light was on, calm and sleeping if off. It was about 60/40%. I went out there twice, being a helicopter mom! checking the temp.(about 70 near the plate).

Monday morning, I opened the pop door at about 9am, and they all burst out, starving and happy.
It was a rainy blustery day, but they got the knack of the sqalls fast, ducking under the coop when the rain kicked in, venturing out as soon as it would quit. Monday night I had to catch 2 girls and put them in, the other 2 went on their own. The light was on less.

By Tuesday night, as they were roosting on a branch in the fence, I said "nigh-night, good girls, go to bed", and the smartest marched right in, and the rest followed! Never touched a bird! Went in to close the door and lock up. I believe their run is secure. It is 1/2 in HWC 4' high, with chicken wire top. 1ft of HWC skirt. I still feel better locking the coop as well, with racoon-proof latches, just in case. I have 2 dogs that should notice any disturbances, and besides I didn't want them to think about coming out til morning.

By Thursday night, I didn't get the chance to even say nigh-night, they were already in bed when I got out there!

Just thought I'd share my first-time chicken experiences, cause I have looked up everything I wonder about, all day for the past two months, and I know these posts have helped me tremendously!

I will be giving them a bigger coop with actual nest area and room to hang out in before they start laying. Maybe could keep the pop door open, we'll see, but an auto-door is already in place.

Back
Top Bottom