This site needs pictures of the different colors

Were both parents of these Peachicks carrying a copy of the Pied gene?
Only one does. The father is a black shoulder with no white any where...no visible extra genes at all...and the mothers are IB silver pieds. Silver meaning at least 90% white.

Quote: The reason I asked is because it's my understanding that to produce Dark Pied offspring the chicks need to receive a copy of the Pied gene from each parent. So wouldn't that make these chicks either split to Pied or split to White (besides also being split to BS and carrying 1 copy of W/E)?

Last edited:
O you're so right! Oops! So that would make them IB white eyed split to pied? The split to whites never have forehead spots..only white flights and white throat latches right?

I probably should have just posted the pics and let SunBaked give the type they are...lol. Sorry for taking the post off topic!

@ChicksnMore :

I should have asked, do you have a preference for how I watermark your pictures? Is ChicksnMore OK?
Thank you again for the photos, I am awaiting instructions on what to call 'em...
(I'm clueless about this stuff...)

Anythings fine on the watermark
smile.png

I am pretty clueless when it comes to the finer points of genetics still. From what I understood though PeepsCa is right. They are IB split to pied carrying 1 copy of white eye and the bs gene. The father was BS and the 2 mothers were each SP. I am very excited to see if they, especially the boy, keep the white spots when they color out. About 85% of the chicks from the sp hens had the white spots on their heads or necks. I asked everybody that got one to send pics when they grow up. I hope at least a few do.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to the finer points of genetics still. From what I understood though PeepsCa is right. They are IB split to pied carrying 1 copy of white eye and the bs gene. The father was BS and the 2 mothers were each SP. I am very excited to see if they, especially the boy, keep the white spots when they color out. About 85% of the chicks from the sp hens had the white spots on their heads or necks. I asked everybody that got one to send pics when they grow up. I hope at least a few do.

OK, these guys are in Chick Chart!
Lemme know if their captions don't make sense!!

Last edited:
OK, so what do you guys think I should call these chicks to me most helpful in the Chick Chart?
idunno.gif

"IB split BS and split Pied, carrying one copy of WE"?
Would this be helpful or confusing (like it is to me)?

I don't think you need to add the "split BS" as it does not affect the appearance of a chick. Splits to Pied and WE on the other hand can show visually on the chicks so I would add those. To me it would be an IB split to Pied and WE. I think one copy of WE is considered split to it. Unfortunately the chick chart will be of no use identifying BS split chicks, perhaps that is something that should be posted on the chart???? JMO.

Back
Top Bottom