This summer has been horrible on my flock

Sirina

Chirping
Jan 26, 2020
Arkansas
Hey y’all this summer has been rough. Fowl pox has slowly been creeping on all my girls and then of course secondary infections of respiratory issues have started. I had successfully treated with LA 200 injections on a few but now many are still coming down with it. I have a big bottle of the la200. Can I administer it in the drinking water to treat the whole flock of 45? Anyone ever use this injectable into water?

Photos?

Is it wet Fowl Pox that you are dealing with?
Antibiotics are making a difference with recovery? As far as I know LA200 can't be put in the water (it settles out), but I *think* you can administer it orally if that helps.

I would only treat birds that are clearly in need of medication.

@casportpony and @Eggcessive may be able to confirm this.

Can you post any pictures of the fowl pox scabs? Have you seen any yellow lseions or plaques inside the beaks or throats of the birds? Have any chickens had a previous respiratory infection before? What symptoms are you seeing? Do you have a regular vet who might sell you an antibiotic to put in the water? I do not recommend treating birds unless they have symptoms, and antibiotics would only help treat a bacterial disease. If any have a virus, that won’t respond to antibiotics. Fowl pox is a virus, and wet pox also will not respond. MG or mycoplasma symptoms can be treated with Tylosin, oxytetracycline, Denagard, doxyxycline, or enrofloxacin. Tylosin can be obtained here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Only add water to the powder to mix.

Back
Top Bottom