Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

Pics
I use Nutrena naturewise all flock 20% pellet ( i take a rolling pen to it for littles) 23.95 for 40lbs
I have standard chickens ,bantams , chicks etc through almost a year old.. mine free range i put calcium out as well as chick and poultry grit..i go through about 3 bags per month for 30 chickens

Nature wise "feather fixer" is a higher protein layer formulation - too much calcium for anything except adult production hens. I'll take Purina's FLock Raiser over Nutrena's All Flock - locally its cheaper (Nutrena is a 40# bag, Purina 50#), and Purina's nutritional guarantee is slightly better - but either are fine feeds.

Here's a picture of where Kalmbach puts the mill date.
View attachment 3399150
The "22269" is the mill date. It means the 269th day of '22.
Here is a recent picture of the bag of my Kalmbach hen house reserve feed that I ordered from Chewy. Can u tell me what the date is?

Attachments

• 379A3C59-5F74-440B-BD4B-CCCAEE9BB578.jpeg
    379A3C59-5F74-440B-BD4B-CCCAEE9BB578.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 10
Here is a recent picture of the bag of my Kalmbach hen house reserve feed that I ordered from Chewy. Can u tell me what the date is?
Looks like they've disposed of the mill date in favor of a "fresh by" - and since they are claiming its still good in 2024, yet we are only about 75 days into 2023, I'm guessing they are putting a 1 year fresh by... Which is "creative". Sure whole grains *can* be good a year later - but those bags and the wya feed is typically stored are NOT the way in which one would desire to store grain for next year's use...

Looks like they've disposed of the mill date in favor of a "fresh by" - and since they are claiming its still good in 2024, yet we are only about 75 days into 2023, I'm guessing they are putting a 1 year fresh by... Which is "creative". Sure whole grains *can* be good a year later - but those bags and the wya feed is typically stored are NOT the way in which one would desire to store grain for next year's use...
That’s what I was thinking. Well I just switched to Kalmbach for multiple reasons, but I do not like this new way of dating plus it’s about $10 more per bag compared to the Neutrena I was using from TSC. I want fresh food for my flock so I will be looking for a different brand. I have 11 hens & 4, soon to be 2 roosters. Half of them have pretty shabby looking feathers, I think from boredom & pecking order. They have been picking at each others feathers & they willingly let each other do it… even the roosters! Thinking they need more protein & boredom busters??? It has been a long terrible winter here in MN. LMK your feed suggestions please.

The last 3 bags of Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker I have purchased had the same mill date. I get them from a small family feed store. I asked when they were going to get a new shipment, and the owner asked, "Oh, was that the last bag?" I said I didn't think so, and was going to mention the mill date, but another customer came in at that moment.

I would guess that they buy in bulk for price, and that that particular type of feed is not a hot seller.

That’s what I was thinking. Well I just switched to Kalmbach for multiple reasons, but I do not like this new way of dating plus it’s about $10 more per bag compared to the Neutrena I was using from TSC. I want fresh food for my flock so I will be looking for a different brand. I have 11 hens & 4, soon to be 2 roosters. Half of them have pretty shabby looking feathers, I think from boredom & pecking order. They have been picking at each others feathers & they willingly let each other do it… even the roosters! Thinking they need more protein & boredom busters??? It has been a long terrible winter here in MN. LMK your feed suggestions please.
I suggest you buy a nutritionally complete feed at a price you can stomach, as fresh as you can find. I know from other posts that you and value different things - you don't want to feed what I do (which I do NOT recommend to others for reasons specific to my management, my acceptable risks, and my budget), but is in part dependent on a local mill.

I stick with what I know I've never gone wrong with blue seal or the 22% grower and if they're layers every once in awhile I put a handful of crushed oyster shell in their feed and I'm good to go they're spoiled little chubbies.. it's also crumbles.. which wasn't my choice when I got them I started pullets my dad bought the wrong bag and it was all downhill from there LOL

I've been using Purina Flock Raiser (crumble) and am very happy with it! I also have young children and have it delivered from TSC. My chickens are healthy and doing great. I use it with chicks, too, after they finish their first bag of medicated starter (also Purina). Medicated starter and flock raiser is the only feeds I use. I've never used layer feed.
I have a mama duck nesting 3 eggs in my front yard. A neighbor gave me a bag of Flock Raiser but there are no instructions. Do I just put out a bowl of it? Thx!

I have a mama duck nesting 3 eggs in my front yard. A neighbor gave me a bag of Flock Raiser but there are no instructions. Do I just put out a bowl of it? Thx!
I have no experience with ducks, so I'm not the right person to comment. You can look it up on this site using the search feature, or start a new thread and ask the duck owners specifically.

Back
Top Bottom