Three week dry back fledgling chick question.

I would definitely provide plain water as an option. Chick starter (feed) is designed to contain all the nutrients the chicks need, so they are fine with just that and plain water.

I have no personal experience with quick chick. I've raised hundreds of chicks, over quite a few years, and never given them anything to drink but plain water. They tended to stay healthy and grow up just fine. So personally, I would not be using the quick chick. But I know that plenty of people do use it and their chicks grow up healthy too, so I would say your chicks should be fine whichever way you choose (assuming they also have access to plain water.)
Thank you again NatJ. I will start giving them regular water. They need to acclimatize to it anyway. And again i really appreciate your advice and time responding to me.

Thank you. your advice is really appreciated. These chicks were vaccinated cor coccidiosis and mareks before they shipped. I will stop giving them quick chick aswell. As i understand it is like chicken Gatorade. Or should i keep them on it?
Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? It's a stupid movie but with a good point.

No-one needs gatorade. The best way to replenish elecrolytes and nutrients for average (not ill and dying) animals is through standard food and water. :)

I meant the chicks will get some natural grit from the dirt.. not that you should order some. My TSC only carries chick grit with "probiotics".. which I detest the marketing BS.. whatever they can do to come up with a way to make our rocks expired so we have to throw them out and buy more.

For anyone else who also has marek's vaccinated chicks.. please be sure NOT to use this recommendation of bringing outside soil in.. until the vaccine is done setting up.. 2+ weeks according to my current understanding.

Brooder expansion complete! Fresh water in both of their waters, heat plate raised and a little roost board to play on. I put plastic vapor/moisture barrier on my garage floor before putting down a canvas drop cloth (we got a nasty cold storm overnight so i wanted to keep them insulated.

Thank you all for your amazing advice 🙏 🙌. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20240504_145930.jpg
    20240504_145930.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240504_145952.jpg
    20240504_145952.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 7
It looks great!

But one point-- do you have a way to cover that new area, to keep them from flying out? They look big enough to make it up to the top already, as soon as they think to try.
I will be making a lid for it tomorrow. For the night i shut the crate door so i dont have a surprise garage runner in the morning 😅. Just like when they move to their permanent coop. The surprise thunderstorms today brought with it a 3" of rain and later 2" of hail extreme lighting and wind. I will grab a roll of fencing i have and make a lid. Thank you again 🌟 🤩

Back
Top Bottom