Tilling the Chicken Pen

Southerngirl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Central Arkansas
Thought I would share what we do to our outdoor run for the chickens. 2-3 times a year we use the tiller in the outside runs. We till about 3 inches deep to allow the soil to freshen and the sunshine to heat the soil. The chickens have a field day pulling up bugs and worms and dust bathing. Just thought others might not have thought of this and this would help.
smile.png

What a great idea! Your hens must really love you for it. I put wire down on the bottom of our inner city run to keep the ground-hog & racoons out otherwise... awesome idea! Still have to do it the old fashioned way... shovelling - either way... it gets into the compost.

we get so much rain here there isn't any poo left.. each week it gets rained away.. anything i should do ? it is full of really green grass still to..and it has been all summer

We'd built a long, thin run so that half was in the sun, and half is in the shade. We can fence off the sunny end with some chicken wire and seed it with whatever cover crop seed is handy, but they strip it to dirt again in a matter of days.

Back
Top Bottom