Time for new chicks, wondering about breeds

I got 4 chicks today! I was aiming to get a French Black Copper Marans, along with the Blue Rock and the Lavender Orp. The Marans didn't come in, I was able to just get 4, I thought the minimum was 5, but she asked how many I wanted, I said 4, she asked if I had other little ones at home, I said nope, but I've got old ones and that was fine. That was my first win. Second win was I got the Lavender Orp, and the Blue Rock, an Americauna (chipmunk looking one) and a breed that had come in on Monday, a Partridge Rock. I was aiming for a couple who are supposed to be good winter layers. My first set of chickens I had a beautiful greyish, hawk looking americauna, who had a cross beak. She was my lap chicken as I had hand fed her for the longest time. I'm hoping this Americauna will look like her. I remember having a chipmunk looking chick then. Anyway. It was a very good day for me.

I was scared as the Lavender Orp was the tiniest and she played dead for a little bit when I put them in the brooder. She did later perk up, eat and drink, but I was a bit concerned for a half hour or so.

I loved the chick music on the way home. Now I have to just keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any roos. I've had my luck with 11 hens so far. I hope it holds.

I got 4 chicks today! I was aiming to get a French Black Copper Marans, along with the Blue Rock and the Lavender Orp. The Marans didn't come in, I was able to just get 4, I thought the minimum was 5, but she asked how many I wanted, I said 4, she asked if I had other little ones at home, I said nope, but I've got old ones and that was fine. That was my first win. Second win was I got the Lavender Orp, and the Blue Rock, an Americauna (chipmunk looking one) and a breed that had come in on Monday, a Partridge Rock. I was aiming for a couple who are supposed to be good winter layers. My first set of chickens I had a beautiful greyish, hawk looking americauna, who had a cross beak. She was my lap chicken as I had hand fed her for the longest time. I'm hoping this Americauna will look like her. I remember having a chipmunk looking chick then. Anyway. It was a very good day for me.

I was scared as the Lavender Orp was the tiniest and she played dead for a little bit when I put them in the brooder. She did later perk up, eat and drink, but I was a bit concerned for a half hour or so.

I loved the chick music on the way home. Now I have to just keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any roos. I've had my luck with 11 hens so far. I hope it holds.
YIPPEE! (Pictures?)

I have lavender orps and they are fabulous. They stay close by and are super gentle and sweet. I have a lot of rocks around where they spend the most time and their light gray color blends in perfectly so maybe helps the local hawks not spot them as easily? They are very quiet so far, they are still pullets so time will tell. They are not full grown but don't seem to be able to get more than a few inches off the ground when outside so I feel like they won't make it over any fences.

This is about 5 minutes after they first got into the brooder. The Lav. Orp (Lavie) just stood there, looking absolutely miserable. I was so very worried about her. She did eventually get moving around, eating and drinking with the others. It took maybe 15 - 30 minutes, though it felt like an hour. She is so much smaller than the others. One had been at the feed store 3 days, but the others came in the same morning. I was surprised at the size difference.

2021 Chickens in Brooder.jpg

Here's the blue rock (I think)
2021 Chicken Blue Rock.jpg

Lavie immediatley after I put them in. I'd forgotten to put paper towels down above the wood shavings.
2021 Chicken Lavendar Orp.jpg

This is the Americauna
2021 Chicken Ameraucana.jpg

All of them. Lavie taking her first drink.
2021 chickens 1st day.jpg

I don't have a picture of the Partridge Rock, as she wouldn't hold still.

I'll have to do the photo shoot tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the input. I can make things harder than they need to be.

Attachments

• 2021 Chickens 4.jpg
    2021 Chickens 4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2021 Chicken Blue Rock.jpg
    2021 Chicken Blue Rock.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021 Chickens in Brooder.jpg
    2021 Chickens in Brooder.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 6
I hate having hens that look like another hen. I like to be able to tell everyone apart. That is the beauty of olive and easter eggers.
I have lav. orpington. Not sure what all the fuss is about them. They are gentle and calm, maybe that is it? Mine lay small eggs, and, well, for my tastes they are just boring grey. But very very pretty as chicks. And the egg colour is meh. Just a very pale skin tone.

I much prefer Wyandotte. Similar size and temperament. Similar egg colour, but more interesting looking birds.

Marans are cool because of the egg colour, I like splash marans the best personally. Black and grey chickens are a little dull for my tastes. Also, I like e a bird that looks like it can fly up over a fence. And forage. We are in the wild here.

They can look dead when they flop down to nap. Read the Brooder Article, watch vids and Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom