Timeline from dipdown clarification wanted

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
The hatching guide is a bit confusing. One egg has a dip in the aircell. Soo.... up to 24 hours for chick to change position, up to 24 to internal pip, and 24 to hatch? So 3 days max? African, possibly mix since mom has a white chest, in case it matters.

Will further candling to check progress upset mom? I don't want to risk her attacking a hatching chick.

3rd question: Another hen went broody a few days ago. Will she abandon her eggs to fight over the newly hatched?

The hatching guide is a bit confusing. One egg has a dip in the aircell. Soo.... up to 24 hours for chick to change position, up to 24 to internal pip, and 24 to hatch? So 3 days max? African, possibly mix since mom has a white chest, in case it matters.

Will further candling to check progress upset mom? I don't want to risk her attacking a hatching chick.

3rd question: Another hen went broody a few days ago. Will she abandon her eggs to fight over the newly hatched?
I'm loath to assign hard and fast timeframes to the process, so I'll generalize based on my own experience: what I usually see with the goose eggs I hatch (and I hatch a lot of them) is that the air cell will noticeably draw down about the day before the gosling internally pips, and then external pipping follows within 24 hours of the internal pip. It can take another day, easily, after external pipping for the gosling to hatch...and that's if everything goes smoothly. If it doesn't, like in the case of a malposition, the hatching process can take longer, and the gosling may need assistance to successfully hatch. You may find this thread, with Pete55's response in post #3, helpful.

I don't let my geese hatch their own eggs, but when I allowed Muscovy broodies to hatch ducklings, I erred on the side of caution and left the broodies alone as hatch day neared, specifically to avoid upsetting the broody. Since you're letting the goose handle hatching, I'd try to disturb her as little as possible now.

Can you move the newly-broody goose to a location away from the sitting one? I kept my Muscovy broodies in their own secure pen with the nest in a coop that only they (and I) could access, so that none of the other poultry (or other animals) could disturb them. Some geese have a very strong mothering instinct, so preventing conflict that could unintentionally injure hatchlings is important.

Best of luck!

I'm loath to assign hard and fast timeframes to the process, so I'll generalize based on my own experience: what I usually see with the goose eggs I hatch (and I hatch a lot of them) is that the air cell will noticeably draw down about the day before the gosling internally pips, and then external pipping follows within 24 hours of the internal pip. It can take another day, easily, after external pipping for the gosling to hatch...and that's if everything goes smoothly. If it doesn't, like in the case of a malposition, the hatching process can take longer, and the gosling may need assistance to successfully hatch. You may find this thread, with Pete55's response in post #3, helpful.

I don't let my geese hatch their own eggs, but when I allowed Muscovy broodies to hatch ducklings, I erred on the side of caution and left the broodies alone as hatch day neared, specifically to avoid upsetting the broody. Since you're letting the goose handle hatching, I'd try to disturb her as little as possible now.

Can you move the newly-broody goose to a location away from the sitting one? I kept my Muscovy broodies in their own secure pen with the nest in a coop that only they (and I) could access, so that none of the other poultry (or other animals) could disturb them. Some geese have a very strong mothering instinct, so preventing conflict that could unintentionally injure hatchlings is important.

Best of luck!
:goodpost:

I’m sorry but I’ve never incubated, I let my girls do it when I want them to have goslings.

The third goose might abandon her nest to try to steal the other goslings, or she might not, it’s hard to say, baby fever is pretty strong in geese so she might ditch her nest for the other babies.

Back
Top Bottom