Tiny Gosling Impact Injury

Apr 23, 2024
Hi Everyone, I am feeling like the worst mama ever this morning. I was changing the water for my little 4 day old goslings and dropped it and hit one of my babies. She fluttered and flapped a ton. There was blood coming from her beak. For the first half hour or so she was twitching her head a lot and rubbing her beak with her foot. She also looked like she was falling asleep (eyes closing, head slowly going down) - we were so afraid she was dying, but at this point I think she really was just needing a nap after a big fright. We let her alone to rest and now she seems honestly about normal. I've seen her drink, and nibble at a couple of things in the brooder like she's curious. She is still shaking her head some though, and I haven't seen her eat yet. There seems to be a small wound on the top of her beak. I'm afraid she got a hard whack to the head from the waterer (a quart mason). So my questions are this - is there any kind of disinfectant I can use on the wound to try to keep it from getting infected? (We'll be extra vigilant about keeping their water clean too.) Is there anything I can give her that is a general health boost? (eg When I have an injured/sick hen I give her cider vinegar in her water.) Anything else to support her/keep an eye out for? I think we will also give her some extra snuggle time so she can get good naps without the bustle of her siblings waking her up.

Sounds more like it probably got a concussion from the impact, or at least knocked out. I wouldn't do anything for the wound except change the water more often. Make sure to use something where it can submerge it's bill fully. Chick waterers are often not deep enough. A container with a hole cut in the lid works well for geese.

Don't think there is much else you can do. It should recover after a bit.

Sounds more like it probably got a concussion from the impact, or at least knocked out. I wouldn't do anything for the wound except change the water more often. Make sure to use something where it can submerge it's bill fully. Chick waterers are often not deep enough. A container with a hole cut in the lid works well for geese.

Don't think there is much else you can do. It should recover after a bit.
Thanks. Concussion was on my mind as well. I appreciate your thoughts on this one!

Back
Top Bottom