tiny odd egg can it hatch?

paris_r

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Nolanville TX
This was found in our hen house today. there are no bantys in it, so we are perplexed. I tried candling it but could not see a yolk-but I dont know if it cant be seen because of the strong pigment. below photos show size comparisons. in the sequence photo largest is a normal size egg for our hen house, next is a japanese egg then the odd one.

the kids want me to try hatching it but I am unsure -has anyone ever had one of these before?

They are frequently yolkless, kind of an "oops" for the hen. Do a search on "fart eggs" and you can read up on the subject.

I think generally they wouldn't hatch or produce a very viable chick if they did, but what could it hurt to throw it into the incubator and see what develops (or not).

Deb

Sometimes they're not yolk less, a member on here had one exactly like that & she hatched it out, I think named it Pippin? Can't completely remember but why not try it :)

I've had three of those since my girls have been laying and none of my banty's are brown layers and all the eggs have had teeny tiny little yolk.

Back
Top Bottom