Tip of Beak Broken Off

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I have a little B.O. pullet, about 16 weeks old, who got carried off by a neighbor's dog today.

She doesn't have any visible wounds, though i think she may have some cracked ribs or something to that effect.

But she also has a broken top beak, which is why i'm writing.

S6309964.JPG

I haven't dealt with this before.

She wants to eat, but it seems like she's having a hard time picking up food. It doesn't seem like that much is missing. And i know it will grow back, but i don't know how long that will take.

I would just like to benefit from y'all's experience and advice.

Should i consider filing back the bottom beak to match? I thought about giving her a press-on nail to help the top.
wink.png

Will she figure out how to scoop dry food, or will she need special food until the top beak grows in?

What do you think?

My little rooster broke his beak EXACTLY how your girl did, But his was actually bleeding and it was broken off a little more than your's, and he did absolutely fine. We didn't even put anything on his beak. He broke it off being a nut, (trying to flog us for no reason)
His grew back totally fine, and he had no problem with eating. However I would monitor her and make sure she is eating, and if she's not then you'll need to do somthing. she'll probably have to get used to it, which may be why shes having troubles right now. Check her again later and see if shes eating with more of an ease

Last edited:
It does not seem to be broken too far that it won't grow back, but there is a chance. If you feel comfortable enough to file the bottom to better match the top, then go for it. It might take a little while but she will get used to eating, even if you don't file the bottom. If you think she is not eating, then keep an eye on her weight. Try feeding slightly larger food items. If she has cracked ribs I would worry more about internal damage and bleeding. But, healthy chickens can overcome many injuries. As long as she has a good appetite, then I would not worry too much. Just keep an eye on her.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

High maintenance recovery is not my forte, so i'm glad to hear she'll probably learn to use that beak.

She doesn't seem to be suffering too much, so i'm thinking that if her ribs are cracked, they're not poking anything, or anything awful like that. She just sits pretty still and tries to eat sometimes, but when i hold her, she'll squawk at me if i get her in some mysterious wrong position. That's why i think maybe she has some cracked ribs. So i'm trying not to handle her more than necessary. Just keeping her warm, with food and water.

I think i'll scramble her an egg and see if i can get her filled up before night time.

Thanks again!

jeslewmazer

Good tip to let her try bigger food!

I made a point to keep the scrambled egg in big pieces, and she is scarfing it down. She hesitated a little at first, but i think it is helping her figure out how to use her short beak.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom