Tips on ventilation and cleaning this coop.

Thanks! Not sure if rats will be a huge problem - can they climb very far?
So should I maybe frame up the edges with some extra pieces of wood and screws or just layer more HWC on it and screw it on? It's just stapled on everywhere.
Rats and mice are good climbers. Raccoons can stand up and hook their nimble little fingers under all sorts of things.

I don't think layering with extra HWC will work as the seam between the pieces will then need to be sewn together with wire or metal hog rings or J-clips, so that's a lot of extra work. Framing with extra wood should work but you'd need to go in at least 1" on all those sides, and then optimally screw the mesh in between two pieces of wood for extra strength.

Most types of staples as noted by aart can be pulled loose by raccoons as well.

Please tell me that you can open the clean out doors without getting cut up by hardware cloth edges.
Yes there will be a hook and latch on the door so I can pull that to open.

Ok so I'll frame up that edge. What about on the top? Not sure how to fix the gap between the roof and the hwc. How else is best to attach hwc?

I will see if I have a few pictures that may help.

I think you can see here that the hardware cloth is sandwiched between the siding and the 2x4 framing. The 1x3's are just trim. To secure hardware cloth on yours you will have to add boards that span at least an inch over the siding AND at least an inch over the loose edges. That is doable with 1x3 boards and 1.25" screws. You will need boards on both the inside and outside in order to make the hardware cloth secure.
IMG_20200523_125217.jpg

This picture shows the inside at the roofline. The light is coming between the wall studs and 2x4 pieces set inside several inches to allow air flow. The hardware cloth is attached using a pneumatic stapler....those are 1" long staples so are much more secure than the T50 staples on your set up. They are still prone to failure over time.
IMG_20201223_125835.jpg

Still thinking through this - I don't think I could have a huge opening on the pop door side of the coop b/c of the lack of roof overhang. Could I achieve some more ventilation from those two sides by drilling holes at the top on each side?
Also, since I have that other vent in the side now, should I put holes in the other side parallel to that vent for cross ventilation or would the roof vents be enough?

Still thinking through this - I don't think I could have a huge opening on the pop door side of the coop b/c of the lack of roof overhang. Could I achieve some more ventilation from those two sides by drilling holes at the top on each side?
Also, since I have that other vent in the side now, should I put holes in the other side parallel to that vent for cross ventilation or would the roof vents be enough?
How big would the holes be? How many holes?

Quoted from https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/

"What if I just use a hole-saw to put a buncha 2" holes in the walls and screen them, that'll be good, right?" Unfortunately, a 2" diameter hole is about 3 square inches of total area. To put this in perspective, a square foot is 144 square inches. You would need almost 50 holes to equal one square foot of ventilation

Build an awning over it, a couple 1x2's and a peice of plywood, left over metal, or whatever you have on hand. Think of it like this, it's the middle of summer, go sleep in your vehicle for the night with the windows rolled down a couple inches....

How big would the holes be? How many holes?

Quoted from https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/

"What if I just use a hole-saw to put a buncha 2" holes in the walls and screen them, that'll be good, right?" Unfortunately, a 2" diameter hole is about 3 square inches of total area. To put this in perspective, a square foot is 144 square inches. You would need almost 50 holes to equal one square foot of ventilation
Thanks that's helpful I guess there's no point lol
Build an awning over it, a couple 1x2's and a peice of plywood, left over metal, or whatever you have on hand. Think of it like this, it's the middle of summer, go sleep in your vehicle for the night with the windows rolled down a couple inches....
I'm not quite sure what you mean - are you being sarcastic or are you saying I need shade or are you saying that's all I need for a coop? It's in deep shade so awning wouldn't make much difference.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - are you being sarcastic or are you saying I need shade or are you saying that's all I need for a coop? It's in deep shade so awning wouldn't make much difference.

They are saying make an awning above any vents on sides with no roof overhang to keep rain out.

I don't think I could have a huge opening on the pop door side of the coop b/c of the lack of roof overhang
Build an awning over your large opening to make up for your lack of overhang. When we built my coop we did not make hardly any overhang, so my husband built awnings over all the openings, door, windows, etc. I'm sorry, I was in a hurry and should have broken it up more. The car reference pertained to your question about putting a bunch of holes up top for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom