To buy purebred chicks, or hatch barnyard mixes for sale?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, as you are all aware, there is a surge in interest in raising backyard chickens. In my rural corner of Ohio, I have recently sold a few dozen pullets, and am now selling hatching eggs. I sold them unknowingly at below market prices ($10-20 for 4-month old pullets); a couple of families bought everything I had in stock. My hens are great at laying and raising chicks; 25 of them produced 250+ last year. The customers, at least the ones who reached out to me at these prices, don't seem to have a preference for breed; they just want brown eggs, and 4-month old females. I would really like to drop $220 with Cackle to get some purebred cold weather layers, for myself and to re-sell. Do you think it's worth the expense, or should I continue incubating more mixed eggs? Will locals here pay $40 for a purebred pullet?

Hi all, as you are all aware, there is a surge in interest in raising backyard chickens. In my rural corner of Ohio, I have recently sold a few dozen pullets, and am now selling hatching eggs. I sold them unknowingly at below market prices ($10-20 for 4-month old pullets); a couple of families bought everything I had in stock. My hens are great at laying and raising chicks; 25 of them produced 250+ last year. The customers, at least the ones who reached out to me at these prices, don't seem to have a preference for breed; they just want brown eggs, and 4-month old females. I would really like to drop $220 with Cackle to get some purebred cold weather layers, for myself and to re-sell. Do you think it's worth the expense, or should I continue incubating more mixed eggs? Will locals here pay $40 for a purebred pullet?
Depends on where you're located. Here, I could barely get 15 dollars for a pullet that was or wasn't laying. Breed didn't seem to really matter. I don't sell birds anymore so I don't know if ir would be the same prices or not. I say if you want those breeds, get them. I doubt you'll get less than 10 for a pullet anyhow

I guess it's the response to crazy egg prices?
I'd go with personal preferences first, then consider market opportunities.
Even here in Alabama the prices for eggs are insane (I gave friends a dozen, because we don't eat that many, but I am not going to start selling)
People who buy mixed will also buy purebred (and most probably don't know the difference at first anyhow)

Get the birds you want.

I would really like to drop $220 with Cackle to get some purebred cold weather layers, for myself and to re-sell. Do you think it's worth the expense, or should I continue incubating more mixed eggs? Will locals here pay $40 for a purebred pullet?
My thought is that if you would really like them, get them. Your pleasure is worth something. How much pleasure can you buy for $220?

I don't know if people will actually pay more for hatchery quality purebred chickens compared to a barnyard mix. Some might but maybe it just makes them easier to sell. Most of your buyers probably don't know the differences between hatchery and show quality chickens so they might.

I would not count on the high prices for eggs to last that long. From what I've read egg prices are already coming down. People will not pay those high prices so to sell them the price has to come down. Besides they will soon replace the hens slaughtered because of the bird flu. By the time your new ones are laying the commercial operations will probably have replaced them and production will be back up. Prices may not drop all the way down to where they were but I'd expect them to drop.

My thought is that if you would really like them, get them. Your pleasure is worth something. How much pleasure can you buy for $220?

I don't know if people will actually pay more for hatchery quality purebred chickens compared to a barnyard mix. Some might but maybe it just makes them easier to sell. Most of your buyers probably don't know the differences between hatchery and show quality chickens so they might.

I would not count on the high prices for eggs to last that long. From what I've read egg prices are already coming down. People will not pay those high prices so to sell them the price has to come down. Besides they will soon replace the hens slaughtered because of the bird flu. By the time your new ones are laying the commercial operations will probably have replaced them and production will be back up. Prices may not drop all the way down to where they were but I'd expect them to drop.
Ok, some good points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Ridgerunner .

Back
Top Bottom