to cull or not to cull.. wry neck hatchling

yinepu

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Texas where we don't feed the Trolls...
This one hatched yesterday from shipped eggs.. it's supposed to be either a blue, black or splash Ameraucauna...
none of the other chicks in the hatch have the same coloring.. and none of the other chicks have shown any signs of wry neck..

I know it's genetic

if it gets over this and is a pullet.. I'll have to make sure none of her eggs every go to hatch.. if it's a roo he will have to go to freezer camp

I have seen lots of pics of wry neck.. very few have been this bad.. the chick can't move without flopping around and ending up on it's back.. the back of it's head stays touching it's back.. the only time it seems to get a break is when it lands on it's back and finally falls asleep

I have been dosing with poly vi sol and vitamin E

if this was your bird.. would you cull it now?
wryneck3.jpg

wryneck1.jpg

I'm not sure but I think Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamins WITHOUT THE IRON is the recommended treatment. With baby chicks a vitamin deficiency is pretty common.

yeah.. i gave it the poly vi sol yesterday straight from the incubator.. and twice so far today

most of the cases I have seen and read about haven't been this severe.. no idea how this chick is going to be able to eat and drink on it's own if it doesn't straighten out

I just don't know enough about wry neck to know if it will get better and if so, how long until you see improvement. Sorry for you and this baby, always tough when they hatch with problems.

Hoping the Poly-Vi-Sol works!
fl.gif

Sure isn't blue, black or splash is it?

Back
Top Bottom