To get 'big silkies'...

robinast

Chirping
Oct 9, 2022
I plan to start with two breeding projects next year.
One of them would be to get the body size of my Silkies increased significally - yet to keep their skin color, feathers and comb 'right' (characteristic for Silkies as they are). I would start with black Silkies - yet the color and pattern are not that important for me.
What breeds should I include in that project? I have been thinking of Ayam Cemani (they share the fibromelanotic trait, right?) in the first place to get the birds a bit bigger before starting using some much bigger breed in crosses (Brahma? Cochin?)
This project would be something completely new for me, so any advice would be highly appreciated!
I have a basic knowledge in genetics, though. Gosh! I have taught the very basics of genetics in my science classes at school. :D Thus, I would not faint seeing words like 'homo-/heterozygotic', 'inbreeding depression', dominant/recessive gene/trait ', 'polygenic traits' etc. Yet I am very far from being even close to a good knowledge in genetics, that's for sure.
The other project would be a bit simpler, I guess - namely to develop a really big dual-purpose breed, crossing Brama hens with Barbezieux roos. Here, I would like to get rid of the simple comb of the Barbezieux breed and feathered legs of Bramas. Again, color and patterns are not that important (Ok, maybe I would not want to end with white chicks, though!). But I want them BIG - bigger than Bramas of nowadays and having a decent laying ability of bigger than average eggs.

Maybe to keep the Silkie type, artificially inseminate the black Cochin females with black Silkie male blood, starting with the biggest Silkies you can find. The female offspring would be fibro and the males would carry the id gene. Breed together and find the offspring with the best traits.
Your idea would also work, but this one might work faster. I would love for large Silkies to become popular some day. I think they have a lot of potential.

In re: the Silkies, they *do* exist as Large Fowl as well as bantam-sized. I have no idea where you would find them though.

@MysteryChicken was working on a Giant Silkie Project -- though I didn't follow it and don't know how it's going: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/22152421
These 'large' (=standard, not bantam) Silkies are still much smaller than what I would like to have them. :D Bantam silkies are less than 1 kg and 'standard' Silkies do not exceed 2 kg - as much as I have read about this breed.
In re: the Silkies, they *do* exist as Large Fowl as well as bantam-sized. I have no idea where you would find them though.

@MysteryChicken was working on a Giant Silkie Project -- though I didn't follow it and don't know how it's going: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/22152421
Thanks for that Giant Silkie Project link! :D I am reading through it now

Maybe to keep the Silkie type, artificially inseminate the black Cochin females with black Silkie male blood, starting with the biggest Silkies you can find. The female offspring would be fibro and the males would carry the id gene. Breed together and find the offspring with the best traits.
Your idea would also work, but this one might work faster. I would love for large Silkies to become popular some day. I think they have a lot of potential.
The idea of the artificial insemination scares me a lot to be honest! :D :D :D Greatest thanks for the advice anyway. I probably would trim the feathers around the cloaca of both - and see if this would work, If not, well, then the artificial insemination is a way to go... I guess.

Still am, just on pause for next spring.
Oh, that's great! :D I will only start next spring. Both Silkies (Black) and Brahmas (Silver Laced and Porcelain) have just hatched a few days ago :D. I do have a couple of black Cochin hens, though, from this spring. And Ayam Cemanis as well if I decide to use this breed in my breeding project.

Oh, that's great! :D I will only start next spring. Both Silkies (Black) and Brahmas (Silver Laced and Porcelain) have just hatched a few days ago :D. I do have a couple of black Cochin hens, though, from this spring. And Ayam Cemanis as well if I decide to use this breed in my breeding project.
How large are you wanting to go with your birds? I can help guide you with your project.

I've done the skin color sex linking, which was LF Silkie Rooster X Brahma hen.

How large are you wanting to go with your birds? I can help guide you with your project.

I've done the skin color sex linking, which was LF Silkie Rooster X Brahma hen.
Sounds great indeed, thank you very much! I wouldn't mind if they will get as big as Brahmas f.e - yet I would be disappointed if I will end up with birds who weigh less than , say, Wyandots... :D

Sounds great indeed, thank you very much! I wouldn't mind if they will get as big as Brahmas f.e - yet I would be disappointed if I will end up with birds who weigh less than , say, Wyandots... :D
My goal weight is 15lbs, goal height is 3ft for my Giant Silkies. So, I'm using both Brahmas, & Malays. Malays are getting crossed into the bloodline next spring.

So, you want 12 - 13lbs?

Back
Top Bottom