To Roo or not to Roo?

Sarahmacc1

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
So we ordered 10 Australorp chickens and they all turned out to be pullets.

With a potential food shortage coming we don’t like the idea of not having a rooster so we could grow our flock if needed. However we also have young children (7 months old and 4 years old).

We learned we can order Australorp roosters of any quantity from a large hatchery. Should we order a few so they have each other and then see who we like? For ten hens can we have more than one or would we need to butcher all but one?

I have no idea where to start other than now we need a bigger coop because we didn’t think all ten chicks would survive but all have and are doing well now at 17 weeks old. They all get along really well so hopefully a new roo doesn’t mess up their order?

Also anyone with experience with Australorp roosters? I really can’t risk one attacking my kids so I’m still unsure what the best set up is for moving forward.
All tips are welcome!

I ordered more roosters than my flock needed so I could choose the one I liked the best. You can always butcher the ones you don't want or find them new homes. I would say with limited space and only 10 hens, 1 roo is all you need.
I have an Australorp roo and he is alright. He has not shown any human aggression but I'm sure there are variables. I think each bird has their own personality and can go either way. I have heard that the breed is relatively friendly, though. I do have a hen and she is sweet as pumpkin pie. Good luck in your venture!

Your reason for wanting a Rooster is what? A food shortage, as in people food shortage? Maybe you have a while before you need to be worried about that.... ? Kids get a little older first.... Roosters are like tatoo's, dont get one if you're on the fence about it. Roosters can be anything from nice to horrible. My step Dad almost lost a leg after a puncture from a spur that was infected. I got rid of 2 Roosters who became the reason my kids wouldn't go outside and they were both 5.

I suggest that you give yourself a year with only hens to learn about keeping chickens and to figure out what you do and don't want.

Since 50% of chickens hatched are male and you only need about 1 male for 8-12 hens most of the time there is a near-zero chance that you'll be unable to get a rooster next year. :)

While roosters are always a gamble, you *probably* have a better chance of raising a gentleman if he grows up in a flock with adult hens.

I have no idea where to start other than now we need a bigger coop because we didn’t think all ten chicks would survive but all have and are doing well now at 17 weeks old.
I would hold off on the male and get a bigger coop built.
Breed doesn't really matter for a 'good' male,
how you handle yourselves around him matters more, IMO.
Little kids can make that very difficult.

I would hold off on the male and get a bigger coop built.
Breed doesn't really matter for a 'good' male,
how you handle yourselves around him matters more, IMO.
Little kids can make that very difficult.
Any tips on how to learn that behavior? I assume it's similar to dog training, often the person is the issue vs the dog.

I highly value Art's opinion on most things chicken, but not on this. I am close to 20 years in chickens, and I have come to the conclusion that roosters are a crap shoot, sometimes you get a good one, and a lot of times you don't. The secret to a good rooster is a sharp knife. Maybe that is what he means with how you handle yourself.

I do think you do get a better chance of a good rooster raised up under adult birds, but not a guarantee, and I am of the group of hands off handling of roosters. I am pretty sure that making a pet of them can backfire big time.

I strongly recommend NOT GETTING a rooster until your youngest is older than 5 if they share the play yard with the chickens. Roosters tend to attack children first, then women and then men. Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. Inexperienced people often times do not recognize the warning signs or make excuses for the warning signs.

You have years to work into this hobby, and there are many aspects to it. Grow with it a bit slowly. With the BA, you have a fair chance of a broody hen next year, if you get one, slip a few chicks under her. I really love broody hen raised roosters, but that is not a guarantee.

In reality, there is no, "if you do this, then you will get a perfect gentleman'.

As for the future, there is always extra roosters. Once your pullets start laying, and IF your birds have their own confined area, then post at the feed store, ISO a good rooster. What you want is a rooster from a person like me, that kept an extra rooster because he was just so darn nice, one that has been raised up in a multi-generational flock by someone with a lot of chicken experience.

Do be ware of someone, without a lot of experience, who just got chickens, and now has too many roosters and does not want to butcher them so will give them away.

Mrs K

Last edited:
0F5963E1-7A36-46B3-B0C2-5D03B3A5DBB5.jpeg

I’m the exact opposite. This is Vincenzo our rooster. He is the only chicken with a name and is a pet. We started with 20 sexed chickens from Tractor Supply. 10 Austrolop, 10 Rhode Island Red. 1 died, 1 got eaten by a critter.

Vincenzo is great. He acts like a dog. He is generally pretty chill but can be a bit sassy sometimes in which case he gets put in his place and his manners improve. It’s not a big deal. Chickens are not rocket surgery.

We have given two of our broody Austrolop hens some Rhode Island Red eggs to hatch. Vincenzo is the father. I’m sure we will get a bunch of roosters. The hens we get will be used to phase out our Austrolops. They will all be raised in a great environment and will have happy lives (until they get eaten).

I had 2 ɓlack australorp roos over the years. The first one was kind to people, but was not kind to the hens so he got rehomed and did great in his new home. The second one was lovely to the hens, but wanted to kill all people so he got eaten. The sweetest roo i have was raised by a hen so i agree with Kay that, that seems to tilt the odds in your favor.

A good roo can feel threatened by children's unpredictable behaviors and flip into protecting his flock mode. I had to train children and look for the right roo over time. If you have a roo, be cautious when children are around the chickens. Hope you find/ raise a good one.

Back
Top Bottom