Tollhouse Cookie Fail

I thought Tollhouse calls for just baking soda not baking powder. I have not made them for a few months, but check to see. That may be be problem. Make sure the oven is still doing it's thing. My oven lied to me so often, I got a new one. I won't stand for dishonesty in my home.
and as the fudge goes...it is chocolate, right? In my house, it always works out no matter how badly I bungled it. If I somehow turned it into say, liver, then it would be inedible. But only then.

The fudge is smooth as can be - just a little taller than it would be had I been paying attention.

The fridge thing seemed to save the cookies, they look great now. NOTE: Do not use TOO soft butter.

I have found that softened not melted or even close to melted butter makes a big difference in the way the cookies come out. I also, b/c I don't have the patience for cookies is to throw all the dough in a pan and make bar cookies.
big_smile.png

Also I tend to throw a bit more flour maybe a quarter cup extra of flour in the batch

Good Luck, I hate kitchen failures
somad.gif

My family had that problem and my aunt said, did you use the beater? If so, it's too much for the dough to handle. Use a wooden spoon and stir and mix by hand, not the mixer. I thought it did not matter but hers worked so well each and every time. She uses the Tollhouse recipe.

Most definitely the butter.

I like the “idea” of butter, but all butter will flatten out your cookies and give you a softer cookie.

Butter flavored Crisco will give you a crispy and fuller cookie. Try half butter, half Crisco.

I like a crispy cookie so if you try the Crisco and don’t like it just send ‘em to me, k??!
smile.png

I'm with Tammy, flatter crispier cookie here. I'm not down with the too high cookies. Then I feel like I'm eating cake.

Not that I get to eat too many cookies anymore.... and they all taste like crap except for the Mi-Del Ginger snaps.

Laney
who can eat no wheat, rye or barley.

Quote:
...try making Scottish Shortbread with rice flour. It's really good but you use real butter so it might be crispy out of the oven, but then it mellows and becomes softer.

Twice in a row now, the stupid cookies have come out flat as a pancake, not poofy like they ALWAYS do. The butter was really softened - is this the problem?? I put the dough in the fridge hoping it is gonna help.

I have baked these cookies every weekend for YEARS!!!!
Try adding just a little extra flour, a tablespoon or two, to your dough.

Back
Top Bottom