Too early and when?

Mar 10, 2024
Hey guys, Alpha is feeling…amorous this morning and he’s chasing the pullets about the run. At this point they are about the same size, in some cases bigger, than him. Is it too early for them to mate? Also, when will they start laying? We got them between March 15th and april 15th…roughly. Do I need to separate him for a spell?

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    709.7 KB · Views: 21
Sounds a little early for mating behavior. Is he trying to mate or just showing off/aggressive?

Roughly 4-8 weeks old your saying?
They look closer to the 8 week.

Boys mature much faster than the girls. He's all "Yeah!!" 🤪... And the girls are "What the?" 🤨

When my boys get feisty and start wanting to mate I separate them from the girls. I feel that it stresses them out too much and could effect their growth and vigor. I either do not reintroduce until the last girl has been laying for a couple weeks or I have allowed the cockerel I'm introducing to them, to free range with them under supervision during non peak mate times. (Early am and later dusk pm)

Sounds a little early for mating behavior. Is he trying to mate or just showing off/aggressive?

Roughly 4-8 weeks old your saying?
They look closer to the 8 week.

Boys mature much faster than the girls. He's all "Yeah!!" 🤪... And the girls are "What the?" 🤨

When my boys get feisty and start wanting to mate I separate them from the girls. I feel that it stresses them out too much and could effect their growth and vigor. I either do not reintroduce until the last girl has been laying for a couple weeks or I have allowed the cockerel I'm introducing to them, to free range with them under supervision during non peak mate times. (Early am and later dusk pm)
They aren't ready. They are not laying so he needs to be apart from them for now.
Are they all the same age?
They should start laying between 20 and 30 weeks of age.
Somebody laid an egg. Not sure who but it was smaller than Penelope’s eggs.. could have been Lacey…

Back
Top Bottom