Too many roosters and too few hens buy or trade

Frominsidethebower

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2023
Hi. I was given 9 chicks in March. They’ve grown up and are now 6 hens to 3 roosters. So now I’ve got and Australorp hen and 5 RIRs. For my Roos I have an Australorp, a RIR, and a very handsome Barred Rock barnyard mix.

The RIR isn’t aggressive towards people, but wants to be the top roo. I separated him into his own enclosure. I was going to put one of the other Roos in with him, but they were scared of him.

I have both the Barred Rock and the Australorp in with the 6 hens and I don’t see problems between eachother or the hens. The Barred Rock roo is very laid back and is the lowest on the pecking order of the 3. The Australorp is the most friendly of the Roos and currently the top roo in with the hens. Theyre about 5-6 months old and we’re hand raised together. If they’re all playing nicely now, should I expect that dynamic to continue? I don’t want them to over breed or pick fights, but again I haven’t seen that type of behavior.

I need to either rehome one or two Roos, or get more hens. I’d want 5month or older pullets or young hens that can hold their own in the existing flock. I’m open to most breeds as I need them soon and can’t be picky. I do however like more unusual, rare, or attractive breeds. I also spend time sitting with my birds so affectionate, docile, and friendly breeds are preferred.

Please get back to me with advice?

:welcome It is very likely that as they mature their personalities will change. Very likely they will spar for dominance and over mate/injure the hens. Unless youi want fertile eggs, I would recommend rehoming all of the cockerels.

:welcome It is very likely that as they mature their personalities will change. Very likely they will spar for dominance and over mate/injure the hens. Unless youi want fertile eggs, I would recommend rehoming all of the cockerels.
Thanks. This is probably the right solution, but Im attached and I really don’t know how to rehome them. Im reluctant to let them all go because the Roos help defend against wild or feral animals. I also dont know anyone in my area to reach out to. I don’t want them to end up being fought. The RIR roo really has to go, I can try working out something to keep the other two.

Could I keep the 2 docile roosters together in a separate enclosure of about 60sf. The main enclosure is about 180sf. Both have access to separate indoor spaces. I can put up a barrier so that they wouldn’t see the hens. If I keep one roo in with the 6 ladies and the other in the smaller enclosure, will the on its own do ok alone? If so should the Barred Rock or Australorp get to stay with hens? I know it depends on the individual bird, but can anyone tell me which breed is less likely to overbreed that would be helpful.

If I choose to add more hens, how old should they be? I can get some 6 week old pullets and let them mature a bit before putting them all together. Or I can look out for local ads for mature hens. Ideally I’d like to bring my hen count up to 10 so I can try out a few different breeds. Can bantam breeds hold their own in a flock of RIRs and an Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom