Top of Chicken's head is ripped off

We have treated vent gleet with Epsom salt 1/4 cup to a five gallon bucket of water 3/4 . About 107 degrees. Then put her in bucket and soak her butt. You may need to keep her pushed down a bit to keep venting water. Wait about 15 minutes, use rag with Johnson's baby soap reach into bucket and give her a good washing
You don't need a lot of soap, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon. Rinse in the same water again you have been soaking in.not much soap cause you don't want to leave a bunch of residue behind. Then wrap her in a towel, keep her warm. Dry her the best you can, and if it's sunny and warm, go sit in the sun with her on your lap. She will dry pretty quickly..30 minutes. Saline spray twice daily on head wound to flush, pat dry. and the Neosporin. This is how we treated our duck after a racoons attach, well over 6 weeks but she did great. Keep her quiet in a cage or large and tall rubbermaid container. I only just read the post and a few responses. Is she drinking? How about food?

I had this happen with a hawk attack. I am not a vet but I am a nurse. Clean it well. Seriously, super glue. Hey, they use it in the OR! It can sting but I used superglue to glue her skin back over her head and neck, used some Neosporin, then bandaged it. I wanted to keep infection out. She lived inside for a few weeks. She kept her head hanging down a lot in the beginning.
Give her sugar water in a syringe for the shock. Keep her hydrated with electrolytes in her water. You will need to syringe it to her at first along with food. You are going to need to hand feed her cooked egg and anything you can get in a syringe after a bit. I used applesauce. Make sure she gets something. She won’t want it but she will need it. Keep her warm and hydrated. Every swallow is a step forward.
Chickens can have aspirin for pain. 25mg/lb, crush into a powder (no time release capsules) and dilute with a small amount of water or applesauce to syringe by mouth. I changed bandages every day/every other. She took ALOT of time.
your bird can pull through this. She can. I am always amazed by how resilient they are!
If I think of anything else I will message.
I posted pics of my incident. Have hope!

Attachments

• 458C9FFC-0A16-4B4B-8BC8-79F10918E902.jpeg
    458C9FFC-0A16-4B4B-8BC8-79F10918E902.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A6AFE13B-0DA1-4855-A11F-D79294FDFFE5.jpeg
    A6AFE13B-0DA1-4855-A11F-D79294FDFFE5.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here is more...
Give her a soft bed with some straw nearby. She needs to stay warm. Heat lamp or even a low heating pad under some towels for her. I did bandage my bird’s head with gauze, antibiotic ointment, and elastic coban type bandage (tractor supply). When you change the bandage you will need a syringe and water to moisten the dressing while removing it so it won’t stick to the wound. Be patient. You can premedicate with aspirin prior to dressing changes.
Here are healing and healed photos of my bird. When she was ready to rejoin the flock she was clingy towards me. I think she got used to the good life! She was one of my hand raised babies ❤️Again, I used blu cote when the wound was no longer fresh and I she was rejoining the flock so they would not pick. It was weeks though. Here are healing photos. Her feathers did eventually grow back in with a little scarring.
I hope all this helps!
Please send feedback!

Attachments

• A8C9B71F-AD63-44D2-9977-0EE459D13CC0.jpeg
    A8C9B71F-AD63-44D2-9977-0EE459D13CC0.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 617977C5-AF98-472B-BB3C-C9B1DFAB9B8F.jpeg
    617977C5-AF98-472B-BB3C-C9B1DFAB9B8F.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 670703F1-379A-4E72-82D5-650ACE22674C.jpeg
    670703F1-379A-4E72-82D5-650ACE22674C.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So I've been looking for feeding tubes online I can buy for my chicken and I haven't been able to find one that comes with the piece you insert into her mouth. Anyone know any good websites from which I can purchase one?
You can purchase syringes at a tractor supply or feed store. Sit her in your lap and open her beak with your non domination hand, then syringe drops or food and water into her mouth with your dominant hand.

Here is more...
Give her a soft bed with some straw nearby. She needs to stay warm. Heat lamp or even a low heating pad under some towels for her. I did bandage my bird’s head with gauze, antibiotic ointment, and elastic coban type bandage (tractor supply). When you change the bandage you will need a syringe and water to moisten the dressing while removing it so it won’t stick to the wound. Be patient. You can premedicate with aspirin prior to dressing changes.
Here are healing and healed photos of my bird. When she was ready to rejoin the flock she was clingy towards me. I think she got used to the good life! She was one of my hand raised babies ❤Again, I used blu cote when the wound was no longer fresh and I she was rejoining the flock so they would not pick. It was weeks though. Here are healing photos. Her feathers did eventually grow back in with a little scarring.
I hope all this helps!
Please send feedback!
Great story...glad yours recovered. Love to hear about the happy endings! 🥰

Maybe you missed an injury..it's easy to do. Hoping that is what it is.
I'm shocked that a cat did this to a chicken. My stray cat always ignored my birds..
Good job on the rescue... :thumbsup
Initially I thought it was a stray cat because there are so many where I live but maybe I didn't see it well because it was dark. Could've been a racoon, just found out that so many live nearby even though I'm in an urban area.

20200511_092704.jpg
20200511_093151.jpg

Here's a picture, I finally found out the source of her bleeding is through her vent.

Attachments

• 20200511_092651.jpg
    20200511_092651.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom