Topic of the Week - Broody vs Incubator

Pics
For me it depends on the bird. chickens I prefer broodys but for ducks I prefer incubator because alot of the time they end up killing them somehow but if I already have eggs in the incubator I would let ducks sit It really depends on the bird but that's just my opinion

Last edited:
Broody is the way to go no deformed chick's. And I've had exceptional number with hatching. The more times a hens hatches babies she gets better at it. If you have a hen at 60% her first clutch she gets better and better. The nest boxes have alot to do with it also....

I used to allow our silkies to hatch the eggs, but three times they abandoned their chicks anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks, just to go back to being broody. :(

The chicks would try to go back under mom and she'd peck them as if she didn't know them. They couldn't be in the coop as without the mother hen to protect them, the other chickens pecked them. We wound up building a brooder and keeping them in the house at night. We'd let them free-range together during the day since they had that down well but just weren't allowed to go in the coop at night.

After the third frustrating time this happened, I bought an incubator and never let them set on eggs again. If I have to raise their chicks, then I may as well from the start so they'll be friendly to me.

Back
Top Bottom