Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

Pics
I have 3 nest boxes. Two are built into coop, and 3rd one is a suspended milk crate we put a bottom and lip on. I only use pine shavings and they like them. The favorite right now is the milk crate as the other boxes are slanted to be roll away boxes. I made the mistake to think they each needed one box at first I can't believe how much they LOVE laying in One box.

I no longer use nest boxes. They seem to nest wherever they want anyway, so why bother? And, when I had nest boxes just up off the ground, it always seemed to get an egg stuck under it somehow, which wasn't good; too high and the chicks struggled. So, no more. They have acceptable bedding all around, they hollow out a spot for a nest and, sooner or later, move on to another spot. I had an egg eater but she was one of the ones a fox got while she was out ranging, so I'm in a good enough place now. I only have the 2 hens and 12 8 week olds, at least 6 of which are boys. Yesterday at TSC the manager was offering chicks to everyone who walked in the door, she's over run with them and was practically giving them away. I did not take any because you never know; I get mine from the hatchery and have them vaccinated and don't want to bring in any unknowns.

I have one row of nest 'boxes' at floor level and one row above that with a closet size dowel to make access to the upper boxes easier. My boxes are on the 10' wall of my coop; I used to separate the 10' nest box span into 12 or 18" wide boxes (I have a couple of hefty girls), but the hens all try to stuff into the same nest box, to everyone's discomfort. So I took out the dividers and now have two 10' long nest boxes, each 12" deep and high, one above the other. The girls can go in together, sit and lay close together without sitting on top of each other. I can collect eggs from inside or from doors on the outside. Everyone's hapoy. My coop is only for laying eggs and sleeping (no food or water) so it stays pretty dark - no curtains. No problems with hens going broody, it just happens. I use pine shavings throughout the coop and in the boxes. I clean poop once a day for 10 minutes, never have any odor.
This is similar to what we have. Our hens haven't started laying yet though. I am hoping they will like it.

We have 10 feet of 2 rows of nesting boxes. They open from the back so we can collect from inside the walk in or from the egg box door. We only have 3 hens currently - but 11 female cream leg bars and a bunch of "sexed" Australorp that are 5 days old. We will be building a new coop in the fall and I'm not sure we like the coop layout. I am following this thread to see what experienced tenders do.

We have 10 feet of 2 rows of nesting boxes. They open from the back so we can collect from inside the walk in or from the egg box door. We only have 3 hens currently - but 11 female cream leg bars and a bunch of "sexed" Australorp that are 5 days old. We will be building a new coop in the fall and I'm not sure we like the coop layout. I am following this thread to see what experienced tenders do.
Just don't overthink it. Whatever you do, you'll think you should have done differently. As long as they have a place to lay/brood eggs, a place to roost higher than surrounding areas, and a place for clean food and water, the rest will sort itself out. If, when building a coop, you can include a place that can be closed off from the rest, it would be a good thing. Such a place is good for that occasional injury to recuperate, a place for small chicks to shelter that the bigs can't get at them, or anytime you want to isolate for some reason. It can be wired so they can see but not touch. Other than that, I really love my poop board filled with unscented cat litter that I can simply scoop daily and the coop stays clean.

Just don't overthink it. It can be wired so they can see but not touch.
Whatever you do, you'll think you should have done differently. As long as they have a place to lay/brood eggs, a place to roost higher than surrounding areas, and a place for clean food and water, the rest will sorti tself out. If, when building a coop, you can include a place that can be closed off from the rest, it would be a good thing. Such a place is good for that occasional injury to recuperate, a place for small chicks to shelter that the bigs can't get at them, or anytime you want to isolate for some reason.
We have all these things. We just finished building a mini run inside the run. It's covered, has its own roosting bars, and 3/4 in mesh. Unfortunately, when we tested it for the first time yesterday with some 7 and 8 week old chicks, it stormed and we found ourselves up to our ankles in water. In the middle of lightening popping like crazy we were hauling chicks back into the temporary pen we built them on the deck. Back to the drawing board on that one.
Other than that, I really love my poop board filled with unscented cat litter that I can simply scoop daily and the coop stays clean
This we don't have and I cannot figure out how to design it within our current coop. Our roosts are A frame and large. I can't figure out how to get poop boards in and really dislike the layout.

Back
Top Bottom