Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

View attachment 1065076 View attachment 1065078 We put a row of 6 laying boxes in today since all of my old girls joined their young sisters. These were very easy but will be new. Hope they like them. I did put golf balls in each because I want all hens to realize what they are suppose to do in there. I was surprised to find an egg in a bag pine shavings since my oldest Comet is only 17 weeks...could it be laying already?
Those are really cool nest boxes!!

Our coop is sand. Our run is 2/3 sand, 1/3 straw/dirt. I'm hoping they will loose interest in the shavings :confused:

We have 3 hens with really red combs/wattles and another on the way. No squatting that I've observed. Just the mess making in the nest box. :barnie
Put your hand over top of them, within a foot. If they squat with them bright red combs. They're close to lay. GC

Hello there,

I have my nesting boxes on the floor...
(Due to hatching... So x2 what @BYCforlife said!)

I use straw most of the time, but when hatching I prefer pine shavings...
Etc. Not cedar!

To encourage broody hens? I would like to start using fresh lavender,
I hear it helps the aroma attract hens. And so eggs don't go bad I use golf balls.

The golf balls are bought specially to attract broody hens,
and discourage egg eaters.

I just started curtains for the nesting box too!
Hoping that works! I think that actually attracted a hen to brood!

This is a great topic for the week,
I can't wait to stick around and see others thoughts!

-The Angry Hen
Lavender attracts hens? I never knew that! Might come in handy some day...

-What do you use for nest boxes?
I built my nests out of wood to simulate the round holed metal nest banks,
a functional design that also pings the heart of my aesthetics. The holes entrance makes for a nice lip and a cozier/safer feel.(Hens don't' want 'privacy' they want 'safety'.)
Also have a portable floor nest to use as an extra nest when pullets are coming into lay...and for the one time I had a broody hatch out.
1062469-31ddf53ed21f0c29e921ea8543e01dac.jpg

- What bedding materials do you use in your nest boxes?
I like a good tight flake of soft straw, crammed in and 'bowled' out a bit.
Recently have a hen that is tearing up the nests every day, so the pics below show little straw in nests as she's kicked most of it out. Doesn't seem to be a problem tho, no broken eggs<shrugs>

- Maintaining your nest boxes. (Cleaning, pest control, etc)
There is a piece of heavy duty foam backed vinyl (the same that is on the floor of coop and lining the poop boards) lining the bottom of each nest box, and an extra piece on hand for quick change in case of a broken egg in nest. Easy to scoop out the soiled straw and remove the vinyl to be washed, replacing with clean liner and straw. DE is sprinkled heavily into all cracks and crevices in nest structure, under nest liner, and sprinkled thru new straw when it's added, to possibly help deter insects from habituating those places.

- Managing broody hen(s) in the nest box.
Broody hen hatched in the portable floor nest in the partition area of my coop.
Most broodies get put directly into the broody breaker crate.

- How do you make your nest boxes attractive for the hens? (I.e. encourage them to use the boxes, instead of dropping their eggs all over the yard)
Fake (solid hard plastic) eggs and/or golf balls in all nests as 'bait'....helps spread the love s they all don't want use the same nest, works good most the time.

- How do you discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?
All roosts are higher than nest and nest perch. I have a hinged nest cover that I put down an hour before roosting time, then flip back open when I lock up after dark. Usually only need to use this when there are new chicks in the flock and only as long as it takes them to learn to use the roosts.....which can take a couple months, or if lucky like this year, just a few days.

Nest Bank, being stalked by the current nestmesserupper.
1062451-729b406ceb6471306e55621ce201b1d0.jpg

Rear access, chains hold door that becomes a handy shelf.
1062453-dd3afe6cb5590f5aea6ea90a5455346b.jpg

1062454-5ea74a22483d058324855b6dcc33c110.jpg

Nest cover deployed.
1062452-5a2f890cda44126dab89dcec57c66c53.jpg

Access door cracked open in summer for a bit if ventilation.
1062455-ce77814b41f6a3af765dffaffae9f4df.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by newly laying pullet.
1062456-87d51184b85f3ad8682fede13ef03cd4.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by broody and her chicks,
ramp added for easier access for the short legged.
1062459-722eabe440ab16781be4c4da90d6dfa8.jpg

Last edited:
-What do you use for nest boxes?
I built my nests out of wood to simulate the round holed metal nest banks,
a functional design that also pings the heart of my aesthetics. The holes entrance makes for a nice lip and a cozier/safer feel.(Hens don't' want 'privacy' they want 'safety'.)
Also have a portable floor nest to use as an extra nest when pullets are coming into lay...and for the one time I had a broody hatch out.
1062469-31ddf53ed21f0c29e921ea8543e01dac.jpg

- What bedding materials do you use in your nest boxes?
I like a good tight flake of soft straw, crammed in and 'bowled' out a bit.
Recently have a hen that is tearing up the nests every day, so the pics below show little straw in nests as she's kicked most of it out. Doesn't seem to be a problem tho, no broken eggs<shrugs>

- Maintaining your nest boxes. (Cleaning, pest control, etc)
There is a piece of heavy duty foam backed vinyl (the same that is on the floor of coop and lining the poop boards) lining the bottom of each nest box, and an extra piece on hand for quick change in case of a broken egg in nest. Easy to scoop out the soiled straw and remove the vinyl to be washed, replacing with clean liner and straw. DE is sprinkled heavily into all cracks and crevices in nest structure, under nest liner, and sprinkled thru new straw when it's added, to possibly help deter insects from habituating those places.

- Managing broody hen(s) in the nest box.
Broody hen hatched in the portable floor nest in the partition area of my coop.
Most broodies get put directly into the broody breaker crate.

- How do you make your nest boxes attractive for the hens? (I.e. encourage them to use the boxes, instead of dropping their eggs all over the yard)
Fake (solid hard plastic) eggs and/or golf balls in all nests as 'bait'....helps spread the love s they all don't want use the same nest, works good most the time.

- How do you discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?
All roosts are higher than nest and nest perch. I have a hinged nest cover that I put down an hour before roosting time, then flip back open when I lock up after dark. Usually only need to use this when there are new chicks in the flock and only as long as it takes them to learn to use the roosts.....which can take a couple months, or if lucky like this year, just a few days.

Nest Bank, being stalked by the current nestmesserupper.
1062451-729b406ceb6471306e55621ce201b1d0.jpg

Rear access, chains hold door that becomes a handy shelf.
1062453-dd3afe6cb5590f5aea6ea90a5455346b.jpg

1062454-5ea74a22483d058324855b6dcc33c110.jpg

Nest cover deployed.
1062452-5a2f890cda44126dab89dcec57c66c53.jpg

Access door cracked open in summer for a bit if ventilation.
1062455-ce77814b41f6a3af765dffaffae9f4df.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by newly laying pullet.
1062456-87d51184b85f3ad8682fede13ef03cd4.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by broody and her chicks,
ramp added for easier access for the short legged.
1062459-722eabe440ab16781be4c4da90d6dfa8.jpg

Very nice setup you have there!:thumbsup
Scott

Back
Top Bottom