Total Newb with a few pressing issues

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

You may find that both hens will leave the nest when some of the chicks hatch, so if they started sitting together and the eggs hatch out together you may be fine. As far as leaving the chicks in with the other birds, I think that depends on the other hens - some can be bad with little chicks. You may want to try to pen off a corner for your moms and chicks, that way they will still be in the coop but the chicks will be safe.

I'm so excited - 2 of my eggs hatched last night/this morning, 1 is pipping, and the other one is peeping. I can't believe on my first shot my hens managed to hatch out all 4 eggs! I did buy a covered litter box last night (my cat needed a new one anyway) and I was thinking I could put the chicks and mama/s in there once they're all hatched out. I'm so excited! They're so cute!!!

I have never had experience with 2 hens on the same nest, so I am not sure what will happen!
jumpy.gif

But don't underestimate them. I think they will sort it out for themselves. I think the hen higher up in the pecking order will take charge of the chicks. Or she might let the other hen take care of any late hatching chicks.

Just keep a close eye on them the 1st couple of days, and if its not working you can take the chicks away from the mother (s). I allow a couple of clutches of eggs to hatch each year, and have never lost any chicks when left with the hen.

My small flock of Japanese bantams has a large fenced off area of my garden attached to their hen house. I only let them out in the garden to free range if I am around to keep watch.

When I tried to raise some chicks myself the fist time it was very upsetting taking them off the hen, and she was very distressed, and so were the chicks. Also 2 from the 6 died (I am not sure why), and I felt guilty about that as I was taking care of them.

Let us all know what happens. Very interesting about the 2 hens together!

welcome-byc.gif

I hope you are able to get all your issues addressed in the forums here. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks!

Thanks everyone! I went out there this morning and the chicks were out of the nest. :) Both mamas were out there with them, but they were mostly staying under the bantam (which is funny, because they're standard chicks, and 4 of them have a hard time squeezing together under the bantam!). When I got too close, the larger hen went back into the nest and called them to her. So cute! So the mamas seem to be sharing the chicks really well. It doesn't look like anyone has drank from the hamster bottle I set up for them yet (I figured the hens wouldn't have a problem since we use a nipple-based watering system in the coop) but I may need to go out there with a bowl of water just in case they haven't realized they can use the hamster bottle yet. I fenced off a small part of the coop next to their preferred nest and it seems to be working well.

Back
Top Bottom