tractor coop in the winter

ashleypell

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Brazil, IN
this may be a stupid question but this is my first year with chickens/ducks and we built a tractor coop so curious if in the winter when its supposed to snow i can just wheel it in the garage or leave them out and add extra protection/layers on side to insulate it better? i live in indiana so there is usually only a couple bad snows

Hard to say....you might just have to play it by eye.
What does your tractor look like...pics, please?

Thank You for adding your location in your profile!!!

We have since added a ladder and wheels to push and pull

Attachments

• 2B736232-5995-43CD-995E-C4C2534BA24A.jpeg
    2B736232-5995-43CD-995E-C4C2534BA24A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Put in garage: yes, but put down something so they don't poop on the garage floor! (Maybe a tarp with bedding on top of it.)

Leave outside but protect: yes, that can work too. Tarps or clear plastic can both block wind. Tarp provides shade, clear plastic permits light and heat to come in. You'll need to balance fresh air (uncovered space) with light (uncovered space or clear plastic) and temperature (don't make a greenhouse that collects so much heat it cooks them.)

You don't want to make it particularly warm inside their pen during the winter days: they wear the same coat of feathers at night and in the day. If their feathers are warm enough at night (they are), then the chicken can easily get too hot in the daytime.

I live in NW Ohio so I definitely can relate to the winters you have. The A frame tractor is great for warm months, but not for winter. The garage would be a better option if you can handle the mess. Any chance you could build a coop for winter?

Do people have a separate summer and winter coop?

It depends on the people and the climate.

One specific example:
My Mom had a sturdy, insulated chicken coop where the hens lived during the Alaska winter. In the summer, the hens moved out into a portable coop ("chicken tractor"), and the main coop was used for raising baby chicks. There were always more chickens in the summertime than in the winter, and we butchered some combination of old hens and young roosters in the fall.

Overall, it's probably most common to build a coop and a run, and let the chickens have access to the run anytime the weather is suitable.

I have an open hoop coop in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm anticipating temps in 110s. We have been doing misters and fans, but have a lot of panting at night. During the day as well, there is a lot of panting. I am really thinking of adding AC, but not sure how to do it. I was thinking of adding rigid foam board and wrapping with plastic then adding air conditioning. I was also toying with the idea of building a solid A frame tractor with AC. Honestly, I don't know what to do.

I have an open hoop coop in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm anticipating temps in 110s. We have been doing misters and fans, but have a lot of panting at night. During the day as well, there is a lot of panting. I am really thinking of adding AC, but not sure how to do it. I was thinking of adding rigid foam board and wrapping with plastic then adding air conditioning. I was also toying with the idea of building a solid A frame tractor with AC. Honestly, I don't know what to do.
Is the hoop coop completely open? Shade only, but breeze going over the perches?

Can you add more shade? Putting the coop under a tree, or stretching a tarp above it?

When the sun shines right on the top, it makes the roof hot. So having an extra "roof" higher up might keep the air at chicken-level cooler.

I don't have experience with that level of heat, so I don't know what to say about the AC ideas.

Back
Top Bottom