Trapped a coon...... RESOLVED page 2

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Thankfully my rooster lets me know when a predator is lurking and this coon has been coming around since New Years Eve, and found it IN my chicken pen (climbing in through a weak spot in covered dog kennel) for the 3rd time today.

The first two times I chased it out... this time it was in the pen, but inside the converted rabbit hutch/hen house where the food is.... so I locked it IN. (My chickens were out free ranging and now are locked away in a more secure smaller pen till I figure this out)

The hutch where the coon is locked in is all hardware cloth and wood... not sure if it will tear up the pen trying to get out... all this JUST happened... but for now it is sitting there growling at me.

I DO want to dispose of this returning pest... what can I do if I don't have anything but handgun I have never shot so I can't use that inside this hutch anyway.

Poison maybe? I read about feeding exlax... will that work? Any advice to someone who has never killed an animal... but willing to do what it takes to protect my pet chickens.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the exlax thing would be a huge mess before the coon dies
tongue.png
... most likely of dehydration. I would call your country animal services and have them come in and take the raccoon out for you. Free and you haven't killed it. They should be able to re-home it to another location.

US Fish and game
Denham Springs, LA 70726
(225) 664-9663

Livingston Parish Animal Control
13247 Hodges Ln
Walker, LA 70785
(225) 698-9571

Explain you trapped in the hutch, IN your coop, IN the daytime, threatening your chickens, not a live trap, it's growling and you suspect rabies cause coons aren't too active in the middle of the day, so some kind of disease seems likely!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Or for that matter distemper
And coons carry a thing called raccoon worm that kills other animal people would be on the other animal list very nasty stuff

Personally I would borrow a .22 rifle from somebody and dispatch it. Unless there is a completely unpopulated location in LA to relocate it, it will become somebody's problem. Once a animal figures an easy meal they will continue to look for that meal. Raccoons are not endangered and actually a all around pest. Fortunately here I have not had a problem with them, but when we lived in the Keys it was a big problem. They were constantly trying to get into the garbage cans and would attack if stumbled upon. They wreak havoc on the other wild life such a native birds. And they are well known rabies carrier.

Since its growling, I would call animal control, and I would suspect rabies or distemper. I have caught lots of coons this past spring, and never had one growl at me when it was released, but if it was sickly, I would have had to put it down. Dont go near it, or get any of its bodily fluids on you.

Last edited:
I would also once you are rid of it fire the area it is in to kill any raccoon worms they can kill your chickens and wormer will not take care of it

If you can borrow a .22 rifle from someone, that would be the easiest way. Don't be afraid to put the barrel directly against the head, it makes the kill quicker. As for it growling, don't be to worried about rabies or distemper...my dad traps and I've seen enough coons to know that some will growl and bite the gun, some will simply look at you, and some will even sleep right through being shot...and there was nothing wrong with any of them.

Back
Top Bottom