Traveling gossling

I don’t really have anything to add but just want to wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated on what you end up doing and how it goes!

Buy a cheap second incubator to take in the car with you. As has been said, holding it while it hatches won't work. It could dry out, get chilled, etc. Putting water on it won't help - you're more likely to chill it that way.

Plus, goose eggs don't always hatch on day 28. They can take anywhere from 28 to 32 days to hatch. You can't hold it out of an incubator for three days if it doesn't hatch on day 28.

You say you have power in the car, so buy a cheap incubator, like a Little Giant or similar, and bring it along to hatch in that. Still not ideal, but better than holding it, or leaving it alone to hatch and die in the incubator at home.

This trip can’t really be canceled, which is hard cause I would rather do that. But I really want the gosling to like me because I have a bunch of ducks that just never really have liked me other than when they were little and I’m scared that if someone else takes care of it, it won’t like me.

Follow up, is this the only goose you will have? If so, you also need to find a second gosling to keep with it ASAP. Geese shouldn't be kept as single birds, even if you have a flock of a different species.

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Goose

If you already have more geese, disregard this.

Buy a cheap second incubator to take in the car with you. As has been said, holding it while it hatches won't work. It could dry out, get chilled, etc. Putting water on it won't help - you're more likely to chill it that way.

Plus, goose eggs don't always hatch on day 28. They can take anywhere from 28 to 32 days to hatch. You can't hold it out of an incubator for three days if it doesn't hatch on day 28.

You say you have power in the car, so buy a cheap incubator, like a Little Giant or similar, and bring it along to hatch in that. Still not ideal, but better than holding it, or leaving it alone to hatch and die in the incubator at home.
Thank you!😊 I have candled it and it’s looking like it’s gonna hatch soon. And about the incubator, I’ve bought a few cheap ones and they were just awful. The eggs were barely warm I still tried and never even got development. I now have a problem with ordering cheap incubators🥲. Also the certain type of goose egg I have usually hatch on time.

Follow up, is this the only goose you will have? If so, you also need to find a second gosling to keep with it ASAP. Geese shouldn't be kept as single birds, even if you have a flock of a different species.

Thank you. I have ordered some Sebastopol eggs, but none of them even started developed. I’m kind of in a sticky situation now, but I can spend lots of time with the gossling and do plan to get more. I’ve raised a single duckling before, and he seems to be doing perfectly fine with his friends, so hopefully this will go the same.😊

For pete's sake please postpone your trip! You took on this responsibility, give the little guys a good chance. DO NOT abandon them so close to the finish. You could go on vacations another time. It would NOT be worth it to me to go on a trip knowing what I had done and what would probably be awaiting me when I got home. You probably don't like my opinion, but presumably you are not a kid, and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what's right. I can pretty much guarantee you will regret your decision in the future if you go on this trip. You'll have to live with that. Go on a trip some other time.
Maybe this can convince you---a few photos of our gosling girl
Gabby at one day old and the baby ducks as well.
gabby_6_16_4 copy.jpg

cotswold2 copy.jpg

harlie_cover copy.jpg

Last edited:

We have one goose and she is a wonderful well adjusted sweetie. She is imprinted on us but lives in a coop with her 3 gal pal duck friends. We don't have a farm or ton of land and can't have more, but I would NOT be judgemental and tell someone not to have one. Plenty of people do have one happy goose. Here's our baby, Gabby!
gabby_cover copy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom