Treating bumblefoot with tricide-neo

so i have been soaking their feet twice a day, and it seems to be working slowly- although one particular girl has a swollen part of her foot still- should they be on antibiotics at all???

Quote:
BG- your EEs crooked toe appears to be what I have learned comes from improper humidity during incubation. The one to the left of it in this picture also seems to be a little bent. They adapt pretty well regardless of this seeming impediment. I hope you get her issue at hand all cleared up.
I haven't experienced any foot problems, but imagine I will considering the number of birds I have and am planning to keep around for breeding, so it was good to read this thread.

Quote:
Thank you, Minniechickmama! She was 1 of 10 from a hatchery and the only one with crooked toes. Funny how the toes don't start curling up until they are several weeks old. I have since hatched a bunch of my own. A couple of the EEs are devloping the bent toes. One of the pullets has toes like my Meg on both feet. But none of the eggs I purchased (Ameraucanas and Marans) have crooked toes yet all were incubated in the same incubator. So perhaps the EEs are more vulnerable to humidity issues? I assume it is from humidity that is too high?

lulu1943, i wish you would list the antibiotic you are using and instructions. i'm reading a lot of posts and want something which really works. so thanks

one of my hens went broody so i put several eggs under her and let her do her thing. then i started reading about raising chicks, hatching etc. all of it was made out to be difficult and involved from humidity control and rotating eggs in an electric incubator to temp control for baby chicks and on and on and on. i decided to not do anything and let the hen do her best. good decision. its like having automatic everything. the hen even stays outside in some of the heaviest thunder and rainstorms i have ever seen. all i need to do is provide food and water and lock them in the brood coop every night and the chicks are fantastically healthy and happy. momma hen doesn't take crap from anyone including poppa rooster. so unless you are hatching a lot of eggs, let momma do it.

I have noticed that most people post their treatments and cures but never mention the importance of a good diet. Just feeding pellets or crumbles alone is not enough. A chickens immune system must be up and running in addition to treatments. I am feeding my hen a combination of enriched pellets with vitamin A mixed with flax seed, oats, spirlena powder, dehulled sunflower seeds, with freeze dried meal worms(protein) all mixed together with added green foods she gets from the yard. It is very important that they receive a rich and well balanced diet along with what ever treatment you choose to give.
This is so true. Whenever we are treating a bird for ANYTHING...injury, illness..or even in quarantine for new birds...we give them special food. A small amount of poultry conditioner or show bird food mixed with regular commercial food and sometimes mixed with sunflower seed, or mealworms, or goodies like a small amount of fruit, veggies, yogurt,and scratch grain, cracked corn. Not only is it good for them, but it also keeps them cheerful, and I think that's important for a healthy immune system too.

Back
Top Bottom