Treating Flock for Lice/Mites

Pics

kgilmore1

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
My flock has never had any parasite issues until now! I noticed a tiny red bug on my broody hen who has chicks hatching in 3-4 days. What can I do for them? Also I need to treat my whole flock with ages ranging from 5 weeks-1 year old. I bought permethrin spray and the poultry dust with permethrin. Also, my chickens are good balls and love to sit out in the pop up thunderstorms we are getting. Will I need to retreat after they get soaking wet? Another thing is that I have a hunch that the lice/mites came from the owls that live in the barn attached to the coop. Will I have to treat them continually because of that? I haven't seen the owls, only their GIANT nests in the barn and can hear them but they killed my neighbors whole flock and he could see it swooping down and grabbing them right as the sun went down. I put our chickens up early enough that we haven't had a problem other than these bugs. Sorry for so many questions I'm just not sure how to handle this!

Also--won't be killing the owls because I know many are protected and I don't want to mess with them.

Because of birds that frequently are around my coop area, I have to treat for red mites frequently.
Every time I clean the coops I dust with diatomaceous earth. If I see signs of mites (loss of feathers and pale combs is what I see before egg production drop), I make sure to dust a second time about 4 days later to be sure to kill mites any that may have hatched since cleaning /dusting. Good luck!

Permethrin spray...
TE006407
https://www.horse.com/item/fly-rid-plus-spray/E006407/
Sold in the equine section at feed stores. Comes in a few different brands like Matrin's, and Gordon's. Get one that IS labeled for use in chickens.

It is fairly water resistant once dry. I do it after roost so I don't chase any one, including broody's. A spritz under the each wing, directly below the vent, and to the nape of the neck, making sure feathers are parted and it hits the skin.

Red mites... the type that live in cracks of wood and come out to feed on the birds can also be treated with this product by spraying your walls roosts and nest boxes. If I need to do very small babies I would squirt a cotton ball and just do little dabs at those locations.

This product is very affordable, effective, safe, and easy to use in addition to no withdrawal time for eggs if used according to directions. You may need to retreat depending on the species pest, according to the label.

DE is only effective in certain situations... That stuff isn't welcome at my house and I consider it over rated and over used, giving people a false sense of security.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk/

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Please pay attention around the second picture in the second post.

@KikisGirls can we see the product you use?

Following this post and don't mean to hijack...I just thought we may have the same questions, OP.

I too found mites- I think they are Northern Fowl Mites, last night. I have a setting broody who is due to hatch in about 5 days. I am concerned about her eggs. Is there a dry time if using a Permethrin spray before allowing her to get back to her eggs (I know to spray under wings and around vent, but am worried about residual dampness getting to the eggs). Would Ivermectin as a spot on be better?

You need to get rid of the owls,unless you want your bird all killed.
I suggest calling someone to come and take them,if they are no eggs in the nest,destroy the nest.

As for mites,permithian is the best route to go.
My flock has never had any parasite issues until now! I noticed a tiny red bug on my broody hen who has chicks hatching in 3-4 days. What can I do for them? Also I need to treat my whole flock with ages ranging from 5 weeks-1 year old. I bought permethrin spray and the poultry dust with permethrin. Also, my chickens are good balls and love to sit out in the pop up thunderstorms we are getting. Will I need to retreat after they get soaking wet? Another thing is that I have a hunch that the lice/mites came from the owls that live in the barn attached to the coop. Will I have to treat them continually because of that? I haven't seen the owls, only their GIANT nests in the barn and can hear them but they killed my neighbors whole flock and he could see it swooping down and grabbing them right as the sun went down. I put our chickens up early enough that we haven't had a problem other than these bugs. Sorry for so many questions I'm just not sure how to handle this!

Also--won't be killing the owls because I know many are protected and I don't want to mess with them.

Thanks for the replies! I have the permethrin you mix but I guess it's a good thing because I have a huge coop to treat. Is that safe to spray on chicks though?

Back
Top Bottom