Treats

Snyders_Ducks

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
I was wondering, one, how old do ducklings need to be to have treats and do they have to be older for some treats than others. Two, how to give it to them. I recently gave my three ducklings a bowl of water with some mealworms in it and they seemed to have a blast fishing them out. But for others like the fruits and veggies do they need to be a certain age? And with the grit do I just put it on the side near the treat or do I put it on the treat depending on what it is?

IMO ducklings should be several months old before getting treats. Even then, treats should be only a very small portion of their diet. Would a child rather eat candy than vegetables. lol.
Other treats can be slowly introduced to see if they like them. Other peoples' ducks love peas and mine won't touch them, for instance. Frozen watermelon is devoured on a hot summer day. Small treats I just shatter. You should be able to find lists of treats for ducks.
Grit should be in a separate dish and always available. The ducks will help themselves as needed.

This is a very old, but great thread about treats for ducklings/ducks. They are suggesting 8 weeks. That's about the same for us with chicks so makes sense. They mention grit too further down, but before giving anything other than their feed, I'd make sure they got grit or were outside where they can get their own.

Back
Top Bottom