Tree sap gathering and syrup making

A good week ahead for sap collecting. And I have to sit it out. The woods is snow free it is a perfect season. I want to be collecting now. Sigh

AF05C2BC-3E95-4286-A044-764A3B99D826.png

got my first batch of syrup done a few days ago, about 2 cups and wow is it ever good this year, tastes like butterscotch mixed with maple (am using box elder/Manitoba maple what ever you guys prefer to call it) got about 20 some gallons of sap to cook down this weekend so far. and its flowing really good the sap now.

got my first batch of syrup done a few days ago, about 2 cups and wow is it ever good this year, tastes like butterscotch mixed with maple (am using box elder/Manitoba maple what ever you guys prefer to call it) got about 20 some gallons of sap to cook down this weekend so far. and its flowing really good the sap now.
It definitely is good stuff. Our season ended this past weekend. Too many warm days.

The first sap or sap after a few days hard freeze from box elder is better than any other maple syrup.

That Carmel taste is unbelievable. When I tell people I keep my maple syrup and box elder syrup separate for the first week or so they assume it’s because the maple sap makes better syrup.

They are amazed when I allow them a taste test.

How did you make it? Photos are required.
my recipe i read, called for 2 cups of syrup and 1/4 teaspoon of butter, cooked to 24 degrees above boiling point.

then i thought i messed up as it was more like taffy then butter, turns out it helps using an electric mixer to whip it to peanut butter texture. turned out great.

Back
Top Bottom